Problems with internet connectivity

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by po3, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

Po3, an example of network software that might cause the loss of connection is Keyspan. If you let us see the list of programs installed on your Mac, we can make a presupposition what software might be the cause in your case.

Jimmy Mac, did you manually set MAC address in you VM? It looks like your Mac physical address. Please try changing VM MAC address.

Hsopat, please let us see the screenshots: ipconfig /all, ifconfig, tracert www.parallels.com (see the instructions in previous posts). Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
    Xenos

2. Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Bit poster

Hey Xenos,

That was exactly it. I have no idea when I changed the MAC address for the Realtek adapter, but I swapped it and everything's working now.

Many thanks.

-james

3. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Great! Thanks for the feedback, James.

Best regards,
    Xenos

4. kolakowski

kolakowski Bit poster

Same Problems

Parallels Support -
    I have been having exactly the same problems.

MacBook 2.16 GHz/1GB/160GB OSX 10.5.2 - Connect to Wireless Airport Hub
    Rus Vista Business - no issues in Bootcamp

Was running Parallels 5160 just fine.
    5184 shows all the issues of other users above.

No keyspan or other hardware in the mix.

What should the MAC address actually be?

Thanks
    Frank

Attached Files:

5. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Frank,

Please let us see the output of the following commands:

ipconfig /all
    ifconfig
    tracert www.parallels.com

(the detailed instructions are in my post on the first page).

Virtual Machine MAC address is created randomly. You should not make it the same as your Mac physical address.

Best regards,
    Xenos

6. kolakowski

kolakowski Bit poster

7. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Frank,

Please try Bridged Ethernet mode.

Best regards,
    Xenos

8. kolakowski

kolakowski Bit poster

Xenos -
    Thanks for the info.
    Just tried the bridged mode. No change.
    Do you want the data for all the commands again? - Right now these tests do not look all that different.
    Thanks
    Frank

9. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Frank, please try to install the driver for network card inside Vista:

1. In Configuration Editor, CD/DVD-Rom section, click "Use image file" and connect Parallels Tools CD image (vmtools.iso) to VM. You can find Parallels Tools CD image at the /Library/Parallels/Tools folder.

2. In the Windows Vista Start menu go to Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager and select Network Adapters -> Parallels Network Adapter in the left panel. Double click it.

3. Choose Driver -> Update Driver... -> Browse for driver software on your computer. Point the path to your CD.

4. When Windows asks you what driver to use, you should point to:
    Drivers/Network/RTL8029/Win2000.XP.ME.2003 on your virtual CD-ROM.

Best regards,
    Xenos

10. kolakowski

kolakowski Bit poster

11. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Reinstall Parallels Tools, please.

Best regards,
    Xenos

12. robban

robban Bit poster

Similar problems

I have an Imac. Tried VMware and it worked perfectly. Wanted to try Paralell and it did not work regarding Internet access. Tried all the different settings but nothing works.

Is there a fix for this or is experimentation the only way. If so it may be hard to convince whoever tries to program to buy it....

I also tried to install the tools but I experienced a black screen

Please advise.

Best regards, Robert

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  13. kolakowski

kolakowski Bit poster

Xenos -
    I actually did this several times before.
    I found that if I deleted the device (Parallels Internet) and rebooted, reinstalled the driver, rebooted again.....

It worked. Seems like there was an issue with updateing parallels tools with the update included in build 5584

Thanks for your help.
    Frank

Upon

14. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

Frank, glad to know you've got network connection now. Thanks for the feedback. There seemed to be a problem with drivers. As soon as you managed to renew them, you fixed the issue.

Robert, could you give more details? See post #25. Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
    Xenos

15. niquito

niquito Bit poster

Similar Issue

I have similar issues to the ones people are describing. My suspicion is that it is related to the self-assigned IP that the Parallels NAT and Parallels Guest are getting under Leopard. Is there a way to update those?

16. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Niquito,

To update Parallels NAT and Parallels Host-Guest you should do the following:

1. Open Mac OS System Preferences and choose Network.
    2. Choose Parallels NAT from the Show menu. In Configure IP field set Off and press Apply button. Then set Using DHCP in Configure IP field and press Apply button again.
    3. Choose Parallels Host-Guest from the Show menu. In Configure IP field set Off and press Apply button. Then set Using DHCP in Configure IP field and press Apply button again.

Best regards,
    Xenos

17. niquito

niquito Bit poster

This has no effect. When I reinstall Parallels, the two Network options (NAT and Guest-host) get an IP address, but cause Parallels to crash. If I then restart the Mac OS, the two Network options are back to self-assigned and then allow the guest OS to launch, however without a network connection. Any other options? It seems this is a Parallels/Leopard compatibility issue.

18. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Niquito,

Did you try to disable Firewall both on Mac and Windows sides? Did you try to disable Antivirus protection? Just to check if it could be the cause.

Do you have Keyspan programs installed on Mac?
    Do you have VPN?

As I have mentioned in my previous posts, we need more information to analyse the issue and to find the cause (you can loose network connection for a number of reasons).

Please let us see the output of the following commands:

ipconfig /all from CMD on Windows side (Start -> Run -> type cmd);
    ifconfig from Terminal on Mac side (Application -> Utilities);
    tracert www.parallels.com from CMD on Windows side.

Best regards,
    Xenos

19. niquito

niquito Bit poster

More information

Attached are the screen caps for more info. (Since you've asked others before, the en1 port is a secondary ethernet port.)

Attached Files:

20. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Niquito, could you let us see a screenshot of a better resolution? I mean the output of ifconfig. Or just copy the text from Terminal to your next post.

The output of ipconfig /all is also important. You should click Start, choose Run from the menu and type CMD in the field. In the CMD window type ipconfig /all and press Enter. Copy the output to you next post please.

Best regards,
    Xenos