Image Tool unable to read format of image

Discussion in 'Parallels Image Tool' started by rmoraski@orbiuminc.com, Dec 6, 2007.

1. rmoraski@orbiuminc.com

rmoraski@orbiuminc.com Junior Member

I've gotten the message in the subject for the last 3-4 builds of Parallels (currently using beta 5580) when trying to expand an 8GB expanding image.

Parallels for Mac build 5580 on Mac OS X 10.5.1 (failed previously on 10.4.10)
    Guest OS is XP SP 2
    The hdd file is 7.5 GB; I have 11 GB free on my drive

I get this message in Console:

FixPartitions return -1

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
    Rich

2. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Rich,

Please find your virtual machine .hdd file, right-click the icon and open "Get info", then "Show package contents" and send me the screenshots.
    Could you also let me know:
    Do you have snapshots.xml file in that folder?
    Do you have a check in the box at Undo Disks (Configuration Editor - Options - Advanced)?
    Did you split the virtual hard disk?
    Thanks in advance for the information.

Best regards,
    Xenos

3. rmoraski@orbiuminc.com

Attached.

No. Screenshot attached for this.

No. Fourth screenshot.

No.

Thank you for the quick reply!

Attached Files:

4. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Rich, thank you for all the data you have given. Could you please let me know another thing: to which size are you trying to expand the image?

Best regards,
    Xenos

5. rmoraski@orbiuminc.com

I'm trying to expand to 32 GB.

6. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Rich, 32 GB is too much if you have just 11 GB free on your Mac. Please try expanding the hard disk image file to 10 GB and check if you will get the same error.

Best regards,
    Xenos

7. rmoraski@orbiuminc.com

I just tried on a drive with 100 GB free. Same result (though no message in Console this time).

In any event, I'm confused: I'm trying to keep the disk as an expanding image. I shouldn't need the full space available in order to increase the size of the disk, should I?

8. rmoraski@orbiuminc.com

Following a hunch, I tried converting the expanding image to a plain image (8 GB); that completed successfully. I then tried resizing the plain image from 8 GB to 32 GB (on the disk with plenty of space), and it too failed with the image format message.

9. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Rich, than you again for the information provided. We are analyzing the issue. I will be able to give you the answer in 5 days.

Best regards,
    Xenos

10. MacBookPro

MacBookPro Bit poster

Same problem here

I get the same message when trying to expand a 10 GB hdd to 12 GB. I'm running version 5582 on a MBP under leopard 1.5.1. (I already expanded the image some time ago.)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  11. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Rmoraski@orbiuminc.com and MacBookPro,

We did not manage to reproduce the issue yet. Could you please describe in details what you do and on which step you get the error message? We would appreciate you sending a screenshot of the error message.

Do you have authority to create and change files in the directory where the .hdd is stored?

Could you also let us know the version of Parallels Image Tool you are using? To find it out you should click "Parallels Image Tool" in the menu bar when the program is launched and choose "About Parallels Image Tool'.

Best regards,
    Xenos

12. rmoraski@orbiuminc.com

I get this problem when attempting to expand an 8GB expanding image to a larger expanding drive. I get the error message after Image Tool has compacted the drive and then attempted to copy. The progress bar gets almost to the end, then the message appears.

I have full permissions where the drive is located.

I'm currently using Image Tool 5582. I've tried 3 or 4 of the previous versions.

Here are the steps , followed by the error message:

Attached Files:

13. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

Could you please specify, how did you create the disk?
    Did you apply any programs to change its configuration?
    Or did you possibly change the disk configuration manually?

Best regards,
    Xenos

14. rmoraski@orbiuminc.com

I created the image with the first version of Parallels, then installed XP onto it. I've not modified it since.

15. MacBookPro

MacBookPro Bit poster

I also get the error message near the end of the conversion process. I created the image with one of the first versions of Parallels, and extended it once since then (from 5 to 10 Gb). I am now trying to extend it from 10 to 12 Gb. I am using the latest version of Parallels 5582.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  16. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Dear Rich and MacBookPro,

We did no manage to reproduce the issue you are describing. Could you please help us by providing more detailed information on your Virtual Machines' hard disks? Please check your Private Messages boxes to find the instructions. Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
    Xenos

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  17. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Rich and MacBookPro,

We keep on investigating the issue and there is a detail we would like to precise: what is your Windows file system?

To figure it out, double click the My Computer icon on the desktop and right click on your C drive, choose Properties. Look for the "File system" entry. It'll either say NTFS or FAT32.

Best regards,
    Xenos

18. MacBookPro

MacBookPro Bit poster

Filesystem is FAT32

19. techhawk

techhawk Bit poster

Image Tool unable to read format of image - Any resolution?

Is there a resolution to this issue. I'm having the same problem with the same message. Here are the details:

1. Guest OS is Ubuntu 7.10
    2. Host OS is Mac OS X 10.5.1
    3. Using Parallels Desktop for Mac 3.x
    4. Current HDD size is 4 GB. I'm trying to increase to 6 GB
    5. I found the original problem with a cloned hard drive so I tried using the original with the same result
    6. I've tried compacting before increasing with the same result

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

20. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

The investigation is going on.

Techhawk, what is your file system?
    If the disk you would like to enlarge is not loadable, you can create a new disk of the right size, launch the Guest OS and copy the data from the first disk.

Best regards,
    Xenos

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008