Does Media Player Work with Vista?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Michael Czeiszperger, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Michael Czeiszperger

Michael Czeiszperger Bit poster

Has anyone managed to get the Windows Media Player to work on Vista and Parallels 3.0 Build 5582 or 5584? I tried disabling Active X for the video device, but that had no effect.

This came up when I tried to use Netflick's new streaming video feature. Not only did that just throw errors, but then when i tried the media player it wouldn't play any videos at all.

2. Michael Czeiszperger

Sorry, forgot to mention the errors. When trying to play the example videos in Windows Media Player, the error is "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type, or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

When trying to watch Netflix video it either just sits there and gives no error, or it throws up a dialog saying it doesn't have the digital rights or something to that effect.

This is my first experience with Parallels, and it gets high marks for OSX integration, which is really good for an emulator, and somewhat average marks for hardware :) Its hard to fault them, though, as there's new operating systems for OSX and Windows at the same time.

3. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

could you please try these workarounds:
    1. Minimize hardware acceleration level in display properties.

Right click on Desktop -> Personalize -> Display Settings -> Advanced
    Settings -> Trobleshoot tab. Put hardware acceleration level to zero.

2. Set Color in Display Settings to 24 bit making hardware acceleration
    set to maximum.

Best regards,
    Stacey

4. Michael Czeiszperger

Thanks for the suggestions. After spending a good four hours on it, I decided to try VMWare Fusions, and it worked out of the box, so I am just going to use it.

5. mhoutman

mhoutman Bit poster

thx that solved my problems. so let's wait for 32 bit support then!

6. williamv

williamv Bit poster

Thnx Stacey! It worked for me aswell ;-)

7. williamv

williamv Bit poster

PS:

switching to 24-bit has a side-effect: on a 15" widescreen Macbook it is no longer possible to run in Full Screen Windows mode, because the 24-bit setting doesn't suport that resolution. (1440 x 900 only in 32 bit or 16 bit) Single window or coherence is possible with the 24-bit setting.

8. rbh

rbh Member

+1 :)

Thank you - this has been bugging me for ages!

9. frubino

frubino Bit poster

Not working with 5582

Hi-
    I can get the hardware acceleration = 0 solution to work sporadically with build 5582 but I need it to work consistently. I'm running on a MacBook Pro 10.5.2, 2.6GHz, 4GB RAM.

Are there other settings I can tweak?

Thanks-

10. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Did you try 5584 and 5600?

11. frubino

frubino Bit poster

5600 no media player in Vista IE

from the 5600 release notes:

Video and 3D
    o SolidWorks 2007 operates wrong on Macs with ATI HD2600 graphic card
    o ArcGISâ„¢ Desktop 9.2: ArcGlobe component operates wrong
    o Windows Media Player doesn`t work in IE on Vista

Is this going to get fixed?

12. John@Parallels

About applications please check Sd compatibility list,
    Please not that Video card in VM is actually VESA compatible, it doesn;t matter what videocard is installed on Mac
    Media player solution is provided earlier
    In Parallels Desktop v4 , DirectX will be improved ad allowed to use 128 mb of video memory

13. Padde

Padde Bit poster

Problem exists in paralles 4.0 build 3540

Hi there,

Unfortunately I am experiencing the same problem. Parallels installed (4.0) with Vista Ultimate. Windows Media Player only plays sound, no video. What can I do to overcome this error? Thanks a lot for your help!

I am a first time user of Mac OSX on a MacBookPro 10.5.6, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB 1067 Mhz DDR3.

14. John@Parallels

Did you try Stacey's solution?

15. Padde

Padde Bit poster

@John: thx for your reply. It kind of works but with bad quality. Picture can't hold up with sound so it shocks through the motion. So if there's another option please let me know. Otherwise I will have to live with this bother. Thanks again.

16. John@Parallels

I suppose it is due to high load, meanwhile we are working to improve our video driver,
    So hope we will find solution from both sizes, when you are looking video just stop all other software , Time Machine and check

17. Padde

Padde Bit poster

@John: ok thanks, I will wait for future software improvements and try the above mentioned solutions until then. Thanks for the answers!