Copy-Paste Suddenly doesn't Work

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by RCBOOKS, Dec 17, 2007.

1. dkaleky

dkaleky Member

Copy Paste Broke Again

With new mac os update 10.5.2

I 5584

Can not copy or paster either way

what a pain

2. dkaleky

dkaleky Member

Fixed- I un and reinstalled-

Google gave me better search results for a fix than here

3. macsweet

macsweet Bit poster

Xenos
    You state:
    V2theg, please try full reinstall. All the data from Windows side is kept in .hdd file. Make sure that your .hdd and .pvs files are not stored in ~/Library/Parallels before starting the procedure. You can also make a backup of .hdd file.

I am new enought to Paralells that I am scared to reinstall.
    Can you answer these questions:
    What is the .hdd file and what is its function?
    Where should it be stored?
    What is a pvs file and what is its function?
    Where should the .pfs file be stored?
    Can one backup the .pvs file by merely making a copy of it?

That would be helpful to me before I reinstall and also help me understand parallels files.

Thank you.

Alan

4. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

the .hdd file is your VM

Just use PD Menus >> File >> Clone to make back up copies
    do not accept the defaults but preferably locate it on an external hard disk and change the name to incicate dat and location

BTW I recomend a weekly clone - details in my older posts in the forums

try searching for
    housekeeping hugh

Hugh W

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  5. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

Alan, the uninstall procedure proposed above is advisable only when automatic uninstall does not help to remove Parallels completely for some reasons. Please use dmg utility that you will find in Mac HD/Users/<Your User name> folder.

Your .hdd and .pvs files are stored in your VM folder by default. You will find all the information on these files on the page 17 of Parallels Desktop User Guide For Mac.

Best regards,
    Xenos

6. v2theg

v2theg Junior Member

Xenos.

That command did not return any errors. I used the -rf (which i'm guessing means remove folder) on the rest of the commands you sent. I then rebooted. Reinstalled Build 5584 and I'm still unable to copy paste. I also tried the uninstall that's with the .dmg, but to no avail.

Not sure what to try next.

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  7. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello V2theg,

Did you reinstall Parallels Tools on your VM after you have updated?

Best regards,
    Xenos

8. v2theg

v2theg Junior Member

Xenos,

Yes. I installed Parallels Tools in Win XP after reinstalling Build 5584.

9. Chediski

Chediski Bit poster

Leopard--no paste

I too am running Leopard and I can only copy and paste text. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, removed tools, installed tools.

Originally I had the problem under Tiger after the security update. Upgrading to 5584 corrected the problem.

Then I upgraded to Leopard and now I can only copy and paste text...no images. If I try to paste an image from the web between platforms, I only get the web address of the image.

I have not tried any of the terminal fixes from terminal mode yet.

When I uninstalled tools, I went in and removed the folders. I uninstalled Parallels, reinstall, and reinstalled tools. Still no go.

Chediski

10. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello V2theg and Chediski,

Please install the latest version of MacFUSE.

Best regards,
    Xenos

11. bidione

bidione Member

How about for foreign language versions? I do have build 5582 German and have the same copy/paste issue which I would like to have solved. Where can I dowonload German 5584 update?

12. bmeissner

bmeissner Member

Just let your Parallels application look for the update ("Hilfe > Nach Updates suchen..."). I'm already running the German 5584 version.

Bernd

13. nmilmine

nmilmine Junior Member

Xenos,

I have been too busy to apply the fix you suggested to me some time ago - uninstall Parallels and then reinstall build 5584 - until now.

All appears to have gone OK with the uninstall and reinstall except that my attempt to run it results in a request for an activation key - help, please!

14. rbh

rbh Member

Hi,

Text being copied/pasted between the host and guest works fine, however I've never had any luck pasting images from host -> guest or vice versa from my first use of Parallels. "Drag & drop" of files from OSX to the guest (and the reverse) work fine.

Trying to drag an image from a web page on OSX to the guest results in the greyed out "stop" symbol showing as soon as the guest senses the dragged image. This is the case in Outlook (rich text messages), WordPad, Paint and so forth... Doing a "copy image", or a select of an image and a "Cmd C" to copy also does not work from OSX to the guest. The Parallels Tools on the guest when attempting this shows nothing at all in the clipboard contents.

With text, the Parallels Tools on the guest shows this clearly in the clipboard contents.

This machine is still on 10.4.11 and I've just updated MacFuse to v.1.3.0 (9th January '08 build) and that does not help the situation at all.

The obvious question is that (since file drag/drop and text copy/paste work fine), has image copy/paste ever worked "out of the box" on Parallels v3?

Also, is there any need to go grab the "ntfs-3g" file system widget too?

confused,
    R

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  15. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

Nmilmine, why don't you type in your activation key? If you lost it please write to Order Support group: order-support@parallels.com.

Rachel, copy-paste has not been working for images in any build. Parallels clipboard is too small for images. Please drag-and-drop them.

Best regards,
    Xenos

16. nmilmine

nmilmine Junior Member

Xenos,

I had two activation keys and found that I needed both - the one that I received when I bought the upgrade to 3.0; but then I was asked for the original key, the one I was given when I first bought the product. This worked and my version of Parallels is reactivated.

But I am very disappointed that this has solved nothing!

For the record: I'm running Leopard (10.5.2), Parallels (5584), and my VM is Win XP Home (5.1.2600 SP2 Build 2600).

The first time I attempt to cut-n-paste from Host to VM works. Thereafter I get 'clipboard busy'. I cannot then drag-n-drop either. Furthermore I am unable to cut-n-paste within the VM - but I can drag-n-drop within the VM (but without the benefit that paste-special gives of being able to paste into VM with the format prevailing at the point of insertion.

This is getting very tedious! What further steps can you suggest to get this working? Your instructions to run the Terminal with all the (to me meaningless) SUDO instructions seemed to work - but there appeared still to be Parallels folders visible in the various places where I had seen them before, so perhaps it hadn't worked.

In order to ensure that I did preserve the HDD etc that you indicated should be preserved I found that in library/parallels/<here> there was a winxp folder within which were all the things I assumed I needed to keep, otherwise I would have had to reinstalled XP and all the programs I had had running under XP. So I moved this folder to the desktop before following your SUDO instructions - then back again after reinstalling Parallels.

So what is the answer? How do I proceed from here? Your help in resolving this is much needed!

17. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Nmilmine,

Please install the latest version of MacFUSE.

Best regards,
    Xenos

18. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Bit poster

My Parallels also asked me for a Key after installing the update. I tried bouth, the one of my purchased 2.5 version and the one that Avanquest sent me when i upgraded to the 3 version. None of bouth works, and i need hardly to use windows on my mac.

19. nmilmine

nmilmine Junior Member

Ignatius,

Although there is a danger of 'the blind leading the blind' here, what worked for me was that I out in the version 3 activation code, but then got another box asking for the original activation key, and at that point put in the original 2.5 activation key - and, to my relief, saw the all important 'activation successful' message.

I'm glad to hear you have both activation keys and wish you success in applying them.

20. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Bit poster

I have reinstalled the 4530 update again, and now ii's working again and better, cos now the drag and drop files between desktops works properly!!!!!

Thank you very much.