Solaris 10--Can't get to install screen

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by mattc58, Feb 17, 2008.

1. mattc58

mattc58 Bit poster

Hello Friends,

I've got a MBP and the latest version of Parallels 3. I'm trying to create a new VM with Solaris 10 (8/07) and I can't even get to the install menu.

I'm starting the VM from a mapped .ISO file and all I get is the basic grub prompt. It never goes to the menu. The first boot screen goes by very fast but I can see it say "loading CD/ROM...loading stage 2..." then it just goes to the grub prompt.

Any ideas here?

Thanks,

Matt

2. mattc58

mattc58 Bit poster

Never mind. Shamefully didn't read the instructions that the ISO images are split. I needed to combine them into one ISO and then all is well.

3. Gareth42

Gareth42 Bit poster

Matt,

I have the same problem but can you tell me how you combined the 2 images into one iso? I'm very experienced in software development but have virtually no idea about disk images and iso so detail will be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Gareth

4. mattc58

mattc58 Bit poster

5. Gareth42

Gareth42 Bit poster

Great, thanks Matt.

Next is getting it connected to the network. Is there a trick to it?

Gareth

6. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

mattc58, thank you for the workaround provided!

Gareth42, could you please specify your network issue?

7. Gareth42

Gareth42 Bit poster

Alicia,

Solaris is installed and working OK but I have no Internet connection. I also cannot see Solaris from the Finder. I have set the Security setting in Sys Prefs to "Allow all incoming connections" and turned off LittleSnitch but still no luck. My Windows XP vm works fine but not the Solaris.

I have switched from a wireless network back to a wired connection and tried changing the Devices/Network Adapter 1 setting in Parallels but cannot find a way to make it work.

Hope you can help.

Regards,

Gareth

8. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Hi,

Is it possible you have a hardware block enabled on your router, it happens to me once in a while...

9. Gareth42

Gareth42 Bit poster

Hi,

I did look at that but the only Service entry I've had to put in for my Parallels/Windows XP VM is one to allow a specific application to use certain ports. Is there something specific I have to set for Solaris?

Gareth

10. gtig

gtig Bit poster

Important Caveats Installing Solaris 10 05/08 (u5) CD/DVD to Parallels

Ran into this too... talk about a pain... it has to do with the auto-expand on the virtual hard drive image... but don't worry... it's worth the work to run an OS that is 20% faster than Redhat or Suse on the same hardware. ;) I tested and toyed with Solaris 10 U5 (05/08) in Parallels 3 (build 5584) on my Macbook Pro (MBP) 17" and found two major caveats on the MBP 17.

-When Configuring how much storage space... DO NOT set it to auto-expand... as the OS builds out it seems to hang around 2MB... I tried CD/DVD, ISO and Physical... and had multiple horrific unexplainable hangups until I did this.

-set your resolution prior to booting to do the install of the OS... I cannot for the life of me get it to display 1920x1200... but will post when/if I do... best I can get so far is 1600x1200 and 1280x1024

GTIG