Problems with ImageTool

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DotBomber, Jul 18, 2007.

1. DotBomber

DotBomber Bit poster

I'm getting pretty frustrated with the ImageTool in v3.0.

I have a WinXP image that I've been using since the initial release of PD last year and have consistently upgraded as new versions come out and upgraded to v3 when it came out as well.

My problem is that when I first created my VM I was more disk constrained than I am now and I created an 8gb simple image file. I'd like to change that to an expanding image file and increase the available size.

However, I can't get the software to allow me to change the file. Each time I try (even using the latest update), I get the following message:
    Additional Notes:
    I don't have any snapshots created
    I don't have Undo Disks enabled
    I upgraded to the v3 image format when I purchased the upgrade to 3.0

I've tried running Compressor, but it says it won't work with simple disks
    I tried making a clone of the image and usng that image for the image tool. No luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. EricNolan

EricNolan Junior Member

Same issue - was hoping ImageTool would help

I have a 30GB VM that must be a "plain" disk and therefore cannot be expanded via the Image Tool. I am also looking for a way to increase (or at least be able to use the compacting which also can't be done on a "plain" disk.

I show only 3GB available however disk usage tools show that I'm only using about 10GB - not sure where the other 17GB is hiding.

Let's hope someone really smart is reading this thread!

3. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

In current Image Tool version plain virtual disks are not supported. In future update we will support convertion from plain to expanding and you will be able to resize it then.

4. DotBomber

DotBomber Bit poster

ImageTool working, but...

I was able to successfully convert my drive image to dynamic and to also increase the size. However, my WinXP boot partition is still the same size as before. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to increase the size of my boot partition to make use of the additional space I was able to create?

5. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

6. DotBomber

DotBomber Bit poster

That is a good article on how to make an additional logical disk inside the guest os, but not how to extend the size of the primary disk. In my situation, I had an 8gb C drive and wanted to expand it to take up the full additional space created when I used the image tool.

I did eventually find this thread and used the directions successfully from the first two posts.
    http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=1481

7. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

DotBomber, I'm happy you've found the solution. Sorry for misunderstanding your request.

Best regards,
    Xenos

8. pderby

pderby Member

Like so many others, I ran out of room on my 8GB XP disk image. I also had little room left on my MacBook Pro disk. So I upgraded to one of the Hitachi 200GB, 7200 RPM internal drives (an absolutely wonderful disk) and then started the "drill" to get my Parallels XP disk image bigger now that I had a drive that could accommodate the growth. I tried to use Parallels Image Tool to "grow" the disk, but Image Tool would get almost to the end and tell me my image could not be expanded with a cryptic error message "unable to read the format". I spent the better part of a couple of days trying to get around this error with no success.

A friend recommended Acronis "MigrateEasy", http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/migrateeasy/

This is a great utility and I think well worth the $40. It was painless to define a larger hard drive in Parallels, then have Acronis MigrateEasy do the job of moving everything from the smaller disk image to the new, larger disk image, do all the Windows XP voodoo so that Windows XP would recognize and work in the larger space, and make the new drive the "c" drive. Acronis also has a nice disk partition utility, too, called DiskDirector to manage the partitions on a virtual drive if you are fortunate enough to get the Parallels Image Tool to work for you.