Issue with Quicken 2008 and coherence

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by stoli412, Feb 12, 2008.

1. stoli412

stoli412 Member

I recently installed Quicken 2008 in my Windows XP VM and I'm having some issues using it with coherence. If I launch Quicken from within Windows (via the Start menu, etc) the program opens and displays fine. If I launch it by double clicking the app icon Parallels creates, the program opens, displays for a split second, and then disappears.

In order to get Quicken's window to reappear I must switch from coherence to full screen or windowed mode. The program then appears and I can switch back to coherence.

Another way I can get it to appear is to right-click on the Quicken icon in the Dock and choose Hide: the invisible window then shrinks down to the Dock. If I then click on that window it opens up and is visible but is not drawn correctly. If I drag the window around it redraws and everything is fine.

I'm running build 5584 on OS X 10.5.2. Windows XP is up to date and I'm running the latest version of Parallels Tools. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. stoli412

stoli412 Member

*bump*

No one has seen this or had a similar issue? No suggestions?

3. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

thank you for the detailed information. We are trying to reproduce the issue at the moment.

Could you please try to reproduce the case as well? Please, try to add an icon for another application to the dock and repeat the sequence of actions as you did with Quicken. Will the issue still happen?

4. stoli412

stoli412 Member

Hi - I see the issue only with Quicken 2008, and it is reproducible. Internet Explorer and Office 2007 (Word, Excel, etc) open normally when clicking on their dock icons.

I've also noticed that if I add a password to my Quicken file, the window stays open while waiting for me to enter it. As soon as I do and click OK, the window disappears and behaves as I explained in my first post.

Thanks for taking a look at this!

5. gegervision

gegervision Hunter

I would delete all shortcuts created by Parallels in OSX and then try to repopulate them. I had the same issue and this resolved it immediately for me.

6. stoli412

stoli412 Member

That doesn't solve the problem, but thanks for the tip.

7. sluzynsk

sluzynsk Bit poster

I have the exact same problem described. Quicken 2008, launched from the Windows start menu, shows the splash screen, asks for my password, and then vanishes. Switching out of Coherence mode and back in makes the window reappear.

20" iMac, Core Duo, Parallels 5584.

8. cgroves

cgroves Bit poster

I have the exact same problem. Some more information I can add is that the same thing occurs when switching Quicken data files. It looks like Coherence looses the handle to the window. Quicken uses a splash window which closes after the initial startup before opening the main window. It also closes the main window and creates a new one when switching data files. Really annoying but my current workaround is to click on the Parallels icon on the dock which brings up both the start menu and the Quicken window. Quicken is the only application which does this on my Parallels installation.
    The Quicken version is 2008 H&B Canadian.