Is this possible? (Multiple snapshots in this config on Parallels)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MissionMan, Feb 27, 2008.

1. MissionMan

MissionMan Junior Member

I’m looking to run a Mac with multiple snapshots and switch back and forth between them to cater for configurations at different clients. Basically I want to start with my basic config (XP Pro, Office, SAP, Project etc), keep a snapshot of that as my vanilla snapshot and then create virtual setups for each client including network config etc and snapshot them for when I am working at the client. All my working docs would remain on my mac desktop so its only the software config and installation (vpn’s in some cases) that I am looking to keep on each snapshot. Major reasoning behind this is because my current Non-mac setup gives me hassles when I try to install more than one VPN on the same machine (no virtual machines running, just XP)

Would this actually work?

Here is a graphic of what I am talking about

[​IMG]

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

From looking at that, I really think three separate VMs are in order. Go grab some 8-16GB flash sticks and it could probably hold a VM and basic programs on one.

3. MissionMan

MissionMan Junior Member

The problem with 3 separate VM's is the licensing issue. I could have a large number of clients I deal with so it means separate XP licenses, separate office licenses, separate project, separate visio etc so the software alone required for separate VM's would cost a fortune.

4. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

MissionMan, Snapshot option will let you to switch back and forth between configurations for different clients the way you wish.

1. You create the first basic snapshot;
    2. Create a virtual setup for a client and make another snapshot;
    3. Go to your first snapshot, create a virtual setup for another client and make a new snapshot and so on.

So you will have one basic snapshot and several snapshot branches containing individual setups for your clients.

Please read Desktop Parallels User Guide For Mac, p. 147 - 153 to know all the details.

Best regards,
    Xenos

5. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Interesting, it looks like you can do that! I didn't realize you could have a treed structure. You learn something new every day.

6. MissionMan

MissionMan Junior Member

thanks guys, the help is appreciated. looks like I am good to go.