F11 & F12 not working in PD-Build 5584 on Leopard 10.5.2

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mavakil, Feb 21, 2008.

1. mavakil

mavakil Member

Hi everybody,

Is anyone else facing this issue? There are probably the 2 most least used keys, so I don't know if others have experienced this.

I use F11 & F12 a LOT as shortcuts for assigning categories in Microsoft Outlook on Parallels. All the other Function keys are fine, but F11 & F12 for some reason don't respond.

Please help.
    Arif

2. hovis

hovis Junior Member

same here, at least for f12. Irritating :)

3. mavakil

mavakil Member

*Phew* boy, am I glad to see your post, hovis. So I'm not the only one. As long as there are others too, I'm sure the wonderful people at Parallels will have this resolved soon.

4. chicago63

chicago63 Junior Member

They haven't worked for a while. There is a temporary fix that works pretty well put out by a Parallels rep in one of the many threads on this subject. Parallels is aware of it and hopefully will be addressed in a new build.

Go to the System Preferences and into Keyboard and Mouse. Go to Keyboard Shortcuts. Go all the way to the bottom to Application Keyboard Shortcuts. Highlight App. Keyboard Shortcuts. Click on the +. On Application, click on the drop down list, look for Parallels Desktop. In Menu Title, type a description. I typed F11 in that box. Then in the keyboard shortcut box, push the function key you want to activate. I pushed plain F11. If you want control, alt, shift, or any combination of those keys with the F keys, push whatever key combination you need. Click Add, then exit Sys. Prefs and try it.

I only got F11 to work by itself. I could not get it to work with shift, control or shift+control.

5. mavakil

mavakil Member

Thanks so much for this post chicago63. I've had funny results with this work around, but none of them really worked for me. The first time I entered F11 into the Keyboard Shortcuts, it was accepted. But when I went to enter F12, it activated the Dashboard, as that's my shortcut for the Dashboard. Later I switched off this shorcut for the dashboard, deleted the earlier shortcut (F11) I had entered and tried reentering both of these shortcuts. This time neither of them would be recognised, not F11 nor F12. Instead I get an annoying beep when I hit the Key F11 and F12.

*sigh* Will search the forums for more explanations to the work around.

But thanks once again Chicago for the reply.

Arif

6. chicago63

chicago63 Junior Member

You're welcome, mavakil. Hopefully Parallels will have a build that fixes this.

I remember when I first got a Mac almost a year ago this week and had Parallels at that time, I think version 2 or whatever was out a year ago, F11 worked perfectly, just like it did in XP. I think it even worked with shift, control and shift+control. I think it got screwed up when Leopard came out. I noticed it malfunctioning in November 2007 when I upgaraded my MacBook Pro to Leopard from Tiger. And the subsequent builds of Parallels up this current build haven't corrected it.

So, if F11 worked perfectly a year ago with that version of Parallels, and Parallels is aware of this F11, F12 issue, one can only hope a fix is in the works. Sorry the temporary fix I posted and got from another post by a Parallels rep didn't work for you. As I said, the fix isn't 100%. F11 itself works, not with shift or control. And with this temp. fix, you cannot hold the F11 key down very long, just a second; otherwise, it'll repeat itself and the function it's assigned to in your Windows application.

7. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Dear all,

We are sorry for this bug that has been found out on Parallels Desktop with Leopard. Thank you for your reports. The fix is on our roadmap.

Best regards,
    Xenos

8. agranovsky

agranovsky Member

Uh .. any word on this? Just upgraded to Leopard and this annoys the sh!t out of me -- makes using VisualStudio next best thing to dentist visit.

9. mavakil

mavakil Member

I know what you mean about Leopard, agranovsky. I just hope the future fixes to Leopard by Apple improve this instead of making it worse as the case has been at times.