Use USB Wireless Adapter signal from Virtual Machine within OS X ??

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Apple-Z, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Apple-Z

Apple-Z Junior Member

Hi,

I just got hold of a LinkSys WUSB300N USB 2.0 Wireless Adapter (stick) which is basically an oversized USB stick with a pair of antennas and cradle with a 6' USB cable.

The software that comes with the product is PC only, but I figured I could still get it to work within OS X somehow... because there are precious few affordable USB Wireless Adapters for OS X.

Even though it's a USB product, it appears to do nothing when I plug it into my MacPro under OS X alone - The power light doesn't turn on and it doesn't show up as hardware :(

Initially I got it to work under Win XP in BootCamp with no difficulty, and with a little more effort I also got it to run under Parallels (5584). I had to use the USB Controller icon in Parallels to capture the device within Win XP and then it lit up and I got a wireless connection.

The question I have is whether it is possible to "tap into" the working wireless signal I am getting with the adapter under XP in Parallels to "feed" my internet applications in OS X (e.g.: Safari, aMule, Azureus, etc). Essentially I guess I would be going backwards from the normal neworking arrangement. At the moment I am using Explorer under Parallels to access the 'Net, but obviously I'd like to just run my existing Mac applications rather than downloading PC compatible applications and living on the Parallels side.

I know there are a bunch of network setting available within Parallels (Shared, Host-Only, etc), but I have no idea where to start.

Thanks for any help or suggestions !

System Details:
    3 GHz MacPro
    OS X 10.5.2
    Parallels 5584
    Win XP

Apple-Z

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  2. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

it would be simpler to use a hard wired ethernet connection if you want to save money
    or you will have to learn how to write some drivers

Hugh W

3. Apple-Z

Apple-Z Junior Member

Thanks for your reply, Hugh :)
    What exactly do you mean by "hard wired Ethernet connection" ? Do you mean connecting directly to the wireless hub with an Ethernet cable ?
    I was hoping to stick with wireless, so that's why I got this USB adapter with antennas... The cable for the USB stick and the antennas allow me to position the antenna so the signal comes through clearly without having to relocate my tower to another room.
    Apple-Z

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  4. GabyA

GabyA Bit poster

Apple-Z

Can you please explain to me how did u get it to run under parallels port because i am trying to do it and i am not succeeding. so please if you share your information i would be appreciate it.

thanks