Canonical to Resell Parallels Virtualization Software

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by allisonaaronb, Feb 10, 2008.

1. allisonaaronb

allisonaaronb Bit poster

Happy to see Ubuntu is reselling Parallels Workstation. We this help get better support for this popular Linux distro?
    Thanks,
    Aaron

2. LarryJ

LarryJ Bit poster

Trouble with Cannonical Repository

Has anyone successfully used the parallels version available from the Ubuntu/Cannonical repository?

I gave up after many tries and installed the .deb version direct from Parallels. But that didn't help either. I still haven't been able to install Ubuntu 7.10 as a VM under Parallels. System hangs during install of Ubuntu (can't escape mouse cursor with Ctl+Alt or move it at all).

FYI, I never had this problem with Virtual Box nor with VMServer on the same host system.

3. BarryP13@mac.com

BarryP13@mac.com Member

yes, using the alternate install iso from their web site. the desktop version never worked.

4. LarryJ

LarryJ Bit poster

I've tried the alt iso for kubuntu 7.10. Same cursor problems. I even downloaded the kubuntu updated parallels image (similar to a virtual appliance) from the parallels site. Same cursor lockup problem again.

I conclude my parallels installation must be defective. Maybe the error was downloading the install from the Ubuntu commercial partner repository first, finding that it didn't work, then removing it (with apt-get remove) then downloading and installing the .deb from package from the parallels site. Perhaps the remove was not fully completed or ...???

I've spent many hours on this. Virtual Box and VMWare Server definitely work better with fewer problems.