Registration Process

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Beap, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Beap

Beap Bit poster

Hello

I have about 15 users who rely on parallels.
    First off, great product. Saves us much time and effort, as well as equipment.

The question / issue I have is this.
    Every once in a while, and there is no rhyme or reason to it, these users are being prompted to "register" their version of parallels.

1. Why ? The product is "Active", and there are no issues.

2. How can I disable it? This is NOT something I will allow my users to do, thats a nightmare waiting to happen. And I will not hunt down these 15 or so users, and register it myself (unless there is a critical reason).

Thanks in advance,
    BEaP

2. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello BEaP,

Could you please specify when exactly you get the message? I would appreciate if you attach a screenshot.

Best regards,
    Xenos

3. Beap

Beap Bit poster

Here is the screen

Please advise.
    And as i said in the very first (and only) post.

This doesnt happen at any specfic time. Sometimes when starting the VM.
    Sometimes when starting parallels. Sometimes after 2 hours of use.
    Sometimes it wont come up for 2 weeks at a time.
    No rhyme or reason.

Attached Files:

4. maxxopportunity

maxxopportunity Bit poster

Getting the same registration screen.....

I too have been getting this screen and it is certainly wrong. I have been a registered user for a long time and all of a sudden the software is prompting me for registration at the time that it checks for updates. Until recently I have never had a problem updating.

Help us please..

5. Stan O

Stan O Parallels Team

maxxopportunity,
    I have checked your registration data. It looks like that you have registered at our website, however, you did not claim any permanent activation keys for Parallels Products there. And to claim these keys to your website account is exactly what the pop-up prompts you to do.
    Beap,
    could you please PM me your registration email for our website, so I can check your account as well?

6. Beap

Beap Bit poster

I think you are missing my point.
    Why do i need to register with your website ?

I have purchased, and activated each and every copy of parallels we are using.

What benefit or need is there for registering with your website ?

How do I disable the prompt for this ?

What do you mean by registration email from your website ? PM you an email ?

Please solve this issue, or explain the need for registering an active legal purchased product.

7. Stan O

Stan O Parallels Team

Beap,
    Hi, registering your copy of Parallels software at the Parallels website allows you to use the 'Check for updates' functionality as well as to submit high priority email requests to our Support Service. Thus we recommend to do so, to enchance your experience with our product and collateral services.
    By 'email' I meant the 'email address'. Apparently, you did not create an account yet. It is easy to do at http://www.parallels.com/en/profile/

8. Beap

Beap Bit poster

Ok, all this information is great.
    But can you please answer my original question ?

There does not seem to be any critical reason for me to take the time and effort to register this product with your website.
    I can manually install any and all updates, with no problems.
    The support is fine (if I can get the answer to my problem), and there is no other benefit to doing so.
    Not to mention I am not going to register 20 + copies of parallels.

So, and once again, How can I disable this prompt ?

Thanks in advance

9. Stan O

Stan O Parallels Team

This prompt cannot be totally disabled, however, you can turn off automatic check for updates in Check for Updates window, so that the window will not pop-up regularly.

10. MadDogMike

MadDogMike Bit poster

I'm getting the exact same thing. I registered my Parallels right off the bat. Later, when there were issues with Leopard, I downloaded a beta version of Parallels. I can't remember if I downloaded a final version or not. The "about" screen shows "Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac, Build 5582 (December 5, 2007)" It doesn't say anything about beta.

Under licensing info it says, "This is an active copy of Parallels Desktop. It is licensed to: [MY NAME]" That would seem to indicate that I have registered. So why the prompts to re-register?

Thanks,
    Mike

11. Beap

Beap Bit poster

This is a classic example of poor design.
    If you wanted users to activate/register with your website, then you should include that in the purchasing process, or as part of the initial activation.

I understand the desire to track this kind of information, but its ridiculous to limit the self update features, and cause an irritating prompt to register.
    What happens when 50% or more of your customers are not getting critical updates ? We all know the answer to that one.

As far as software piracy goes, there are a million better options then this to validate a serial key. But the current process is fine, this extra registration step is unnecessary.

The whole process is very confusing as well. Serial number, activation key, registration emails etc.

Those are my two cents, I will just disable the auto update feature (which is ridiculous) and manually update as needed.
    Perhaps in a future update, you could include this "registration" as an OPTIONAL feature, like most other software companies do. That way your customers are 1) getting critical updates 2) Not dealing with registration prompts 3) Not feeling obligated to give up personal information for a product they have already paid in full.

Thanks for the info.

Mike - What the program wants you to do is register an account with parallels web site, that assigns your serial number etc to that account. Even though you are using a perfectly LEGAL and ACTIVE copy, they want more.