Copy-Paste Suddenly doesn't Work

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by RCBOOKS, Dec 17, 2007.

1. nmilmine

nmilmine Junior Member

Xenos,

I am cautiously optimistic that your suggestion to install MacFuse may have solved my cut-n-paste problem. In the limited usage I have put my system to since applying MacFuse I have had flawless functionality. I hope I'm not being over optimistic!

Thank you!

2. v2theg

v2theg Junior Member

Xenos,

I have installed MacFuse. Is the copy paste supposed to work now, or is there something else that needs to be done in order to get it working?

3. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

Nmilmine, thanks for the feedback.

V2theg, is the copy-paste function still not working?

Best regards,
    Xenos

4. v2theg

v2theg Junior Member

Xenos,

The copy-paste function is not working. The content gets copied to the OS X Clipboard, but I am unable to paste either by ctrl-v or by right click and select paste in notepad. I will try a uninstall/reinstall again.

Thank you.

Aaron

5. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Aaron, what if you try Command (Apple) + C instead of Ctrl+C?

Best regards,
    Xenos

6. v2theg

v2theg Junior Member

Xenos,

Neither of those work. It seems that Win XP doesn't recognize there is anything in the clipboard since the right click and paste isn't available.

7. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Aaron, please save the attached file in your Guest OS, unwrap the package and run tools_verifier.cmd. Send me the log created by the utility for we could check if your Parallels Tools are OK.

Best regards,
    Xenos

Attached Files:

8. v2theg

v2theg Junior Member

Ok.

I ran ToolsVerifier. The log is attached.

Attached Files:

• log.txt
      File size:
      4.8 KB
      Views:
  9. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Aaron, the tools verifier test shows that Clipboard synchronization does not get initialized for some reason. Could you let us see a list of software installed on your VM? Please make a screenshot of "Add or Remove Programs" window and attach it to your next post.

Best regards,
    Xenos

10. v2theg

v2theg Junior Member

Add_Remove grab for VM attached.

Attached Files:

11. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Aaron,

I am sorry, there is another request for screenshots from our engineers. Could you let us see the Parallels Tools Center, Time Synchronization section and Clipboard section as well?
    Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
    Xenos

12. v2theg

v2theg Junior Member

Xenos,

I found the problem. The clipboard synchronization was disabled. I enabled it and the copy paste function worked properly. I apologize for not catching that earlier. I didn't know that setting could be changed. Thanks again for your help.

13. press22day

press22day Bit poster

I am running Parallels 3, build 5582 on Mac 10.4.11 and the clipboard synchronization does not work. This is very dissapointing. The reason I invested in this software was so I could quickly move between OSs. I have attempted to follow the thread to find a solution, but no where can I find a summation of exactly how to fix this. Throughout the thread the Parallels team instructs it's users to go to Terminal, uninstall, reinstall, install additional programs, etc. Most of these require me to get IT involved and will take a week to get accomplished and several days of down time. I would expect as a user that software will do what it promises without my involvement. When will you fix your software?

14. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

get 5584 it is the bug fix for that

Hugh W

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  15. nmilmine

nmilmine Junior Member

Press22day,

I sympathise with your frustrations. Some contributors to this stream clearly know a lot more IT than you or I! Mid-way down page 7 of this stream there is an entry from Xenos which includes the link you need to get 5584. Having installed it you will probably need to put in your activation key(s) again. Good luck!

16. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

not if upgrading from 5582
    use PD >> Menu >> Help >> check for upgrades

Parallels has givern me all upgrades free except from 2.5 to 3.0 which I got half price as an early adopter

BTW
    reinstall Parallels Tools at once after any upgrade !!!

Hugh W

17. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello all,

Aaron, me and the engineers who were investigating the issue are so happy to know the cause is found and you can use Clipboard Sync now. Thanks for the feedback.

Press22day, we usually use Terminal commands to get additional information when investigating the issues reported by Parallels users or when uninstalling Parallels if normal uninstall procedure does not help for some unexpected reasons. Software development is not the process that can be completed once and for all, it always goes on. We are working to make the product better. I hope that the build 5584 will solve your problem. Make sure that you have installed the latest MacFUSE version as well.

Nmilmine and Hugh, thank you for your posts.

Best regards,
    Xenos

18. press22day

press22day Bit poster

Thanks for the information. I appreciate the fact that you are responsive to these bugs.
    My point is that when I check for updates, I am told that Parallels is up to date. I needed to search around your website to find a forum where I had to search around for answers and then search through a thread to research what the problem is and how to fix it, now I need to install two separate updates and reenter the registration key.
    There should be an easier way to get full use of what is otherwise an incredible program. It's not entirely about the hassle or lack of knowledge either. Company policy demands that I must solicit the help of the already overworked and anti-Apple IT department to install something that should be an automatic update.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  19. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Press22day,

We are sorry for these current nuisances. We are working to make it easier.
    Thank you for your report.

Best regards,
    Xenos

20. nmilmine

nmilmine Junior Member

Xenos,

I regret that my 'cautiously optimistic' posting was premature. Cut-n-paste worked briefly and then I have annoyingly had the 'clipboard is busy' messages and an inability to cut-n-paste either from Host to VM or from VM to VM. The first operation works OK after starting up Parallels, but thereafter 'the clipboard is busy'. I can still drag and drop within the VM but not from Host to VM. Ahhhhh! Please - I need some more helpful guidance from you.