Cannot use Boot Camp partition for VM

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by landon, Feb 21, 2008.

1. landon

landon Bit poster

OK. I searched and followed various suggestions I could find on this and other forums, but I still cannot get Parallels Desktop to use my Boot Camp partition as it's Hard Disk.

When I launch the virtual machine (after prompting me for my admin password) it says "There is no operating system installed in the virtual machine." Followed by instructions for installing a new OS and then the black "DOS" screen telling me "No boot device available."

I have Boot Camp on an NTFS partition. I selected "Use Boot Camp" when setting up the VM. I've erased and re-setup the VM. I've modded the .pvs file to read "Disk 0:0 image = Boot Camp;disk0s2" under the IDE devices section.

Nothing seems to work. Boot Camp is happy by itself, and PD is happy with other VMs. I am using PD 3.0 Build 5584.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-Landon

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Try to set-up a new VM using that BC partition, if that works, just go delete the old .pvs file.

3. landon

landon Bit poster

Thanks for answering! But... Like I said in my original post, I erased an resetup my VM already.

At this point, I've also already formatted and resetup the whole Mac OS and Boot Camp. Still no dice.

Anyone?

-Landon

4. Banacek

Banacek Member

I, too, am having the same problem. I have a Mac Pro with two hard drives, the first one having Leopard 10.5.2 on it and the second one is split between two partitions, one for Time Machine and on has Vista 64-bit installed. Parallels can not see the Vista partition, even if I set it to disk 1:1 in the options. Startup Disk can't see Vista either. I have to hold down the option key to boot to Vista. I'm guessing that might play into it.

What can I do? I hope someone can help.

5. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Whoops! Sorry I missed that in your original post.

Was "disk0s2" the identity of your BootCamp partition when you manually edited the .pvs file?