Windows XP SP2 to Vista

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by LynnQ, Mar 8, 2008.

1. LynnQ

LynnQ Member

Hi there,

I'm thinking about upgrading my WinXP SP2 on my MBP (2 GB RAM) to Vista Ultimate. This is on Leopard 10.5.2 with Parallels 5584. What I need to determine is whether I can just purchase the Vista Ultimate Upgrade package to accomplish this. Will it work on Parallels 3 (the "upgrade" to Vista I mean.)

I'd appreciate any feedback, any type, before I do anything on this matter. What are the problems I'm likely to encounter here? Any guidance and recommendations much appreciated.

Thank you!

Lynn

2. spike1911

spike1911 Bit poster

I didn't (yet) try to run the big trouble maker (Vista). Many of the tools we use in the current environment (Oracle development) are not yet Vista ready (don't blame me ;-)).
    I would suggest in ANY case to reinstall Vista on a fresh partition in parallels to not recreate problems that may arise from a previous XP install.
    Otherwise i am about to believe a fresh Vista install in Parallels cannot harm your existing installed other VMs!? ;-)

3. tonycarreon

tonycarreon Member

i second spike's comment. do a fresh install (which means not purchasing the upgrade of vista but the full version) and avoid problems that might come across.

*if you use a vista upgrade, you have to install xp first (ick!)