Help installing Solaris 10

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by peterwor, May 6, 2006.

1. peterwor

peterwor Hunter

I'm having a lot of trouble just figuring out what to do to install Solaris 10 from the 4 install cds.
    I start the VM from the CD/DVD where I have the first boot CD in the drive, then I get asked for
    whether I wany
    Solaris
    Solaris Serial Console ttya
    Solaris Serial Console ttyb (fpr lx50...)

I assume I want "Solaris" so I boot this, the kernal loads and says "Booting Solaris"

Then I'm asked for
    1) Solaris Interactive shell
    2) Custom Jumpstart
    3) Solaris Interactive Text (Desktop session)
    4) Solaris Interactive Text (Desktop session)
    5) APPLY DRIVER UPDATES
    6) single user shell

No matter what I chose (1 or 2) I get the message saying Using RPC bootparams for network configuration information
    Warning: Time of day clock eror........

What do I want here?
    Where can I find out how to install this bloody OS, all other installs have been cake...
    Anyone out there installed Slaris 10 sucessfully, what am I doing wrong?

TIA,
    Peter

2. bbraun

bbraun Member

For what it's worth, I've installed Solaris on parallels from the dvd image, not the CDs. I have not gotten any of the menus you seem to have gotten. When I boot the solaris install DVD, it boots right into the installer.

3. STim

STim Bit poster

Hi,

Fourth option is recommended:
    4) Solaris Interactive (Console Session)

BTW, did you Pause your VM? That "time of day clock error" usually happens if you pause or suspend/resume the VM with Solaris guest.

4. peterwor

peterwor Hunter

Tim,
    Thanks, no I didn't pause my VM but I also noticed that prior that the 2nd menu I see a UART unrecognized error, I'm assuming that because there is no imternal modem or serial port I'm getting this error but didn't think that would have anything to do with the RTC.

Thanks for the reply,
    Peter

5. duncag

duncag Bit poster

Mmm - I get the same menu's using a DVD but mine fails saying its not a valid Solaris DVD ! What version of Solaris are you using ?

6. rjgebis

rjgebis Hunter

I am using Version 10 released in April. Same problem. It will not recognise

7. bgreat

bgreat Junior Member

Currently, the Solaris Express release will not install. This is not a Parallel's only issue. According to posts in the Sun forum's some "real" PC hardware is having the same issue with installation.

You can install Solaris 10 1/06 release without encountering this error message.

8. LFransson

LFransson Bit poster

I downloaded the Solaris 10 1/06 release installation CD images yesterday and tried the installation. I can't make it work. Most of the time, after selecting "Solaris" it spits out some text ending with "Use is subject to license terms" or some such, and then starts all over again.

9. hardnett

hardnett Bit poster

I fixed these errors by just setting up serial and USB ports.