How to turn off DHCP?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Jeff, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Jeff

Jeff Bit poster

I'm giving Parallels a try and I want to turn off DHCP. It was pretty simple to do under VMWare but I'm having problems finding a way to do it in Parallels.

Any pointers would be appriciated.

BTW, I'm using the Windows client.

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

If you provide a static ip address in the Windohs guest, that will circumvent DHCP.

3. Jeff

Jeff Bit poster

Yeah, I am doing that already but DHCP is still on and using bandwidth. A project I am doing really depends on bandwidth so I'd like to be able to just turn it off. It took me a while to figure out what was going on with VMWare but for some reason DHCP seems to nibble away enough for me to notice.

BTW, I think I'm starting to like Parallels as much or maybe even slightly more than VMWare. ;) Now I just need to turn off DHCP.

4. constant

constant Forum Maven

Go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Component Serives, Services Local, and find DHCP Client in the list on the right. Double click on DHCP Client, and in the Properties window, General tab, in the middle you will see Startup type:. Set the type to Disabled. Hopefuly that should do it.

5. deathshadow

deathshadow Member

Start > run > services.msc
    Look for "DHCP Client", double click on it (or right click and choose properties), stop the service, then set it's startup type to 'manual'. That'll kill it.

Not that DHCP should be chewing bandwidth as it should only be activated when a device connects/disconnects (aka when you reboot or manually choose repair). If that's chewing enough bandwidth to be noticable, something is REALLY wrong with your setup.