Problems with Ubuntu 12.04 after updating Parallels Desktop 7

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by RobH101, Jun 18, 2012.

1. RobH101

RobH101 Bit poster

I was running Ubuntu 12.04 without a problem using Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac (build 7.0.15094). When I updated to build 7.0.15098 and reinstalled Parallel Tools, the Ubuntu menu bar and launcher disappeared so all I am left with is an empty desktop. I can use keyboard shortcuts to pull up apps like terminal but have not found a way to get the menu and launcher back.

I uninstalled Parallels Tools and it made no difference - still just an empty desktop. I went back to the older version of PD7 which also made no difference.

I had to finally go back to the older version of PD7 and pre-PD7 update version of my ubuntu pvm to get the menu bar and launcher back.

Anyone else seen this issue (and solved it?)

Rob

2. juzci

juzci Guest

Hi Rob,
    thank you for feedback, we do appreciate it!
    To investigate the issue we need some technical information, so could you please reproduce it, send us Problem Report as described in http://kb.parallels.com/en/9058 and give me an ID?

Thanks in advance,
    Hanna

3. _JeromeC_

_JeromeC_ Member

I have exactly the same issue : my 12.04 LTS ubuntu VM was running fine, I did the last upgrade build 15098, first it started fine so I decided to upgrade the Parallels tools too, I used the upgrade option from the terminal window after running the "sudo sh install", as usual, at the end it restarted the VM and then I can't do anything, no menu no icon nothing, I can't use the VM anymore.

After the screen saver activates in the VM it prompts me the user password, there I tried to change user and choose "ubuntu 2D" from the small menu at the right of the user name, then I type the password but same problem again.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  4. _JeromeC_

_JeromeC_ Member

For information support told me 12.04 LTS is not supported so far, so it seems "I was lucky" that it was running before. Still I consider this as a regression, since it was working with the PTools before the upgrade !

I finally had to recreate a new 12.04 VM and I didn't install the PTools at all for the moment, waiting for an update where 12.04 is officially supported... but apart from the pain of not having the PTools installed (mouse cursor trapped in the VM, etc) it's working fine.

I could also try to downgrade PD, not knowing the new issues I may face (I also have a windows 7 VM), but I spent enough time on this.

5. _JeromeC_

_JeromeC_ Member

Well, and now it turns out that every time I want to suspend my linux VM it freezes at about 10% of the suspend process and I have a hard time with parallel after this : the machine remains in memory (sh, parallel service + the VM), I have to force quit them, and then PD cannot be started again, after a while it says there is a prl_disp_service still running, but it's not true (or it's not the service real name, cause it's not there), so I actually have to reboot the mac in order to be able to run PD again... great...

6. juzci

juzci Guest

Jerome,

thank you for feedback, we do appreciate it!
    To investigate the issue we need some technical information, so could you please reproduce it, send us Problem Report as described in http://kb.parallels.com/en/9058 and give me an ID?

Thanks in advance,
    Hanna

7. _JeromeC_

_JeromeC_ Member

Well it turns out I have to reboot my Mac if I want to be able to restart my VM, and I hate to do that, especially cause I have 24/24 applications running on it, and it's a pain to reboot a computer... I'll try to do it next time I'm forced to.

Besides, I can sadly see that 12.04 is still not officially supported with latest PD release. When is this supposed to happen, it's one of the most popular linux distribution released end of April !?

8. juzci

juzci Guest

Jerome,
    12.04 wasn't specially mentioned in this article because we have an experimental support of it since build 7.0.15094 :)

Regards,
    Hanna

9. _JeromeC_

_JeromeC_ Member

Oh, good to know that, then we have a serious issue with the support, here is the conclusion of the ticket [Parallels #1405698] that I have raised because applying PTools would completely kill my 12.04 VM :

Upon his suggestion I was forced to completely reinstall my ubuntu VM from scratch, and I have not reinstalled the PTools so far since it was the cause of the VM becoming non functional... it's working fine like this, but no PTools is a pain...

And I didn't want to kill again my newly reinstalled VM by applying the PTOlls just to have the pleasure to generate a report from it, since the only solution is to reinstall again from scratch !!

That's why I was looking forward some mention of official support of 12.04 in the latest announcement.

All my troubles were using Build 7.0.15098 (Révision 770637; Wed, 13 Jun 2012)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  10. asoehn

asoehn Junior Member

I have the same problem. ID 17256994. Build 7.0.15106.

11. NielsO

NielsO Member

Regarding the complete re-install of the guest OS due to problems with Parallels and the tools. I have gotten into the habit of taking a VM snapshot before installing any updates to Parallels, ptools, or the linux kernel. This way there is an easy route back to a working system in case of fatal problems. I know this is of no immediate help once your VM is botched, but anyways..

12. _JeromeC_

_JeromeC_ Member

There is a new upgrade, nothing about ubuntu LTS in the release notes... where is the truth ?

13. _JeromeC_

_JeromeC_ Member

Just to let you know, after participating to the PD v8 beta program I was pleasantly surprised to receive a free license code for PD v8, I installed it (after backing up all my VMs, this time...), ran my ubuntu LTS and installed the PDTools, and it's working great now !!

Happy.

14. NielsO

NielsO Member

I have same problem.

I am running 7.0.15106 with 7.0.15104 tools. When I upgrade the tools to 7.0.15106 the menu and launcher disappears after reboot.

Luckily I took a snapshot before, so I can revert to that.

I have created problem report, but didn''t write down the number. How can I find the problem report number?

/Niels

15. NielsO

NielsO Member

OK, since there is no help to get from Parallels support, I have invested some time troubleshooting this myself.

I have determined that the problem is that the Parallels Tools installer messes up while installing libGL.so. I have fixed this "by hand", and I now have 7.0.15107 running with 7.0.15107 tools on Ubuntu 12.04.

Details: after updating, there was no libGL DSO in /usr/lib/x86-64/mesa. There were only some symlinks. So I found the correct file under /usr/lib/parallels-tools/prltools.x64/xorg.7.1 and copied it to the mesa directory. I then setup the symlinks, resulting in this directory layout:

Code:
    root@ub1204:~# ls -l /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/mesa/
    total 808
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root     31 Aug 14 06:49 ld.so.conf
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     10 Aug 14 06:49 libGL.so -> libGL.so.1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     25 Oct  6 12:42 libGL.so.1 -> libGL.so.7.0.15107.796624
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 821249 Oct  6 12:39 libGL.so.7.0.15107.796624

To finish it of, I ran ldconfig as root to refresh the dynamic linker runtime bindings. After that I rebooted, and everything seems to be fine.

Thanks for nothing Parallels support.. :-(

/Niels

16. cybrhippy

cybrhippy Bit poster

I was able to use @NeilsO info, but not sure if their system is different or just a typo. I found the file I needed at:

Code:
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/prltools.x64/xorg.7.1/usr/lib/libGL.so.1.0.0
    I just fixed the issue by using the command:

Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/prltools.x64/xorg.7.1/usr/lib/libGL.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1
    Then I did the ldconfig and rebooted as he stated in his post. Only difference was the location of the file he found and simplified the sym-links.

One thing I did notice is that there is multiple directories in prltools.x64 for the different versions of xorg/xserver. Currently I am using Ubuntu 12.04 (Updated as of 20121016) which seems to have xorg 7.6 installed. While there is a xorg.7.6 directory, There is no libGL file located in there, Or any of the other versions. My guess is that the build file for the Parallel tools package isn't creating all the files or someone isn't checking the build log after it is done for errors well enough. Or maybe the install script is busted and they need to talk to the packaged builders.

17. paraNix

paraNix Member

and WHY don't we have working COHERENCE yet!!!!

Its been years, and Parallels has been calling it "coherence" in Linux, but if you've used Windows 7/8 in Parallels, you'll quickly notice that coherence actually WORKS in Windows 7/8, but not at all in Ubuntu yet.. after years of claiming so, this sounds like false advertising imo.

18. MostTornBrain

MostTornBrain Bit poster

Coherence works fine for me using Ubuntu and Parallels 8. I have been using it with Ubuntu 10.10, 11.04, 11.10, and 12.04 without issues if I use Gnome. I had some problems if I tried to use Unity, but I prefer Gnome anyhow, so didn't spend much time with resolving the Unity oddities.

What sort of issues are you seeing Paranix?

Cheers.

19. paraNix

paraNix Member

I'm seeing a key issue, and always have in Parallels, for many versions now, MISSING 3D DESKTOP environment acceleration in Linux, but Parallels DOES eagerly support 3D DESKTOP acceleration in Windows, thus no fully-functional coherence in Ubuntu's Unity, ever, and this is key: Given that Ubuntu 12.10 does not support 2D mode any longer, Parallels is useless in this area, as it always has been (its never worked for Ubuntu's Unity). I too have used GnomeShell's 2D mode in coherence, and XFCE, but that is NOT what I bought Parallels for, I bought it to use Gnome3 & Ubuntu/Unity. I've already begun testing Ubuntu in VMware & have found that it works well with 12.10 & 3D acceleration.

Perhaps one day Parallels will recognize its user's need for proper Linux support, and not a mostly sole focus on Windows. In the meantime, I'm moving my vm's over to VMware, who seems to care more about Linux's Biggest "popular" distro.

20. Thomas Hartwig

Thomas Hartwig Member

Niels, good job man. You saved me hours.