Game has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by DKyoungblood, Dec 17, 2008.

1. DKyoungblood

DKyoungblood Bit poster

I'm trying to get Red Alert 3 to work with parallels in Windows XP. However, when I start the game I receive this message: RA3_1.6.game has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Under the "more info" link I get this:

AppName: ra3_1.6.game AppVer: 1.6.3230.17659 ModName: ra3_1.6.game
    ModVer: 1.6.3230.17659 Offset: 005cda43

To give you some background, originally I installed Parallels 3.0 and was unable to do the wizard installation and had to go through the custom installation. I upgraded to the 4.0 and it upgraded just fine. I have not been able to successfully run a game through Parallels, please help!

Thanks,

Dylan

2. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hello, Dylan,

Would you, please, try to start the game and when the error mentioned appears click Help -> Report a poblem in Parallels Desktop menu at the top of the screen. You will be shown a unique report number - let me know of this number, please.

Thank you.

3. DKyoungblood

DKyoungblood Bit poster

Sure.

Your problem report has been sent to the Parallels Support team with id 22994.

Thank you for sending a report to Parallels. We value your feedback as it helps us to improve the product. You can learn your problem status by sending an inquiry with the problem report ID to Parallels Support.

4. DKyoungblood

DKyoungblood Bit poster

I contacted EA and their technical support suggested this:

Greetings,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts.

I'm sorry that you’re having difficulties with the game.

Then try cleaning out your Temporary directory. Do not delete the folder itself, open the folder, select all of the contents, and then delete them.

1. Double click on "My Computer"
    2. Double click on the C: drive
    3. Double click on the "Windows" folder.
    4. Double click on the "Temp" folder.
    5. Hold the "CTRL" key and tap the "A" key to select all.
    6. Tap the "Delete" key on your keyboard and accept the "Are you sure you want to delete these files" prompt.

You may get an error that some of these files can't be deleted. This is usually because they are currently in use, so let's end any program that would be using these temporary files.

1. Hold down the Ctrl, Alt, and Delete keys at the same time
    2. Click the "Processes" tab.
    3. Click on the gray bar in the middle column that says User Name to sort by user name.
    4. Do NOT select anything for SYSTEM, LOCAL SERVICE, or NETWORK SERVICE.
    5. Click on anything besides EXPLORER and TASKMGR for this User Name or other user names.
    6. Click on END PROCESS
    7. Repeat these steps until only explorer.exe and taskmgr.exe are open for this user profile.

Note that some applications may take multiple times before closing. Don't worry that you are permanently changing your system configuration; these applications will return when you restart your system.

Should you require further assistance about this or any Electronic Arts games in the future, please visit our website and review our extensive Self Help knowledge base (http://support.ea.com).

Sincerely,

Karl
    EA Online Support.

However, it did not resolve the issue.

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

6. DKyoungblood

DKyoungblood Bit poster

Command and Conquer 3 is Red Alert and it is listed under supported games.

7. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Ok, then, remove Direct 9 if you installed it , and reinstall Parallels Tools
    If problem is still there,
    there are several ways to continue.,

- new VM, to check is it Windows Corruption problem
    - repair old VM

8. voobrajulia

voobrajulia Member

It seems that there is misunderstanding. Command and Conquer 3 (which is in the list) is Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars. And you are talking about Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3, which is not in the list. They are two different games.