1884 doesn't do Vista RC1 only Beta 2?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by nicka, Sep 11, 2006.

1. nicka

nicka Member

Am I correct in stating this? I have tried RC1 and get a blue screen with a STOP error. However beta 2 starts okay. I really don't want to use beta 2 since a lot has changed with the RC and it also represents final code, unlike the beta which is best for use and development.

Any ETA on when Vista RC1 will get support via parallels?

Thanks,
    Nicholas

2. Ynot

Ynot Pro

Yes. Now we have Vista RC1 working in our labs, so it will be supported in release version.

3. minezamac

minezamac Bit poster

When is the expected release or when can you release a RC2 since you definately are changing something before you go with the final release. Many of us just got RC1 this weekend and are eager to experiment with it, Any idea what they changed that broke it between releases?

4. Ynot

Ynot Pro

minezamac, i can't tell you now what concrete Microsoft changed in their acpi.sys driver. May be i can after releasing RC2 by ideological reasons.

5. dm3

dm3 Member

It would be nice if this update were released soon. I'll just mention that the perception is poor. Parallels announces a new update which is advertised to support Vista. Yet the current available version of Vista doesn't work. It doesn't instill confidence in Parallels.
    I will say though that Parallels is a great product.

6. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

7. jelevy

jelevy Junior Member

Agree 100%

8. dm3

dm3 Member

No offense intended. However if you come up with an update and announce a new feature... and that feature turns out not to work, it looks like egg on your face. They didn't have to say they were supporting Vista. Its meant as a friendly comment. I've gotten bitten in my business if customer expectations are not set appropriately.

9. Pleiades

Pleiades Member

Seems to me, Parallels was aware that many people wouldn't be able to get Vista working, hence the term, "experimental". To me, that means Parallels was just giving those early adopters who take all the arrows the opportunity to play with the latest Windows gadget. It also doesn't hurt when they can say they have a Vista-capable app before VMWare does out in the market. Most people wouldn't play with beta software anyway so the universe of Vista users is awfully small at the moment and mostly populated by computer nerds like me who always want to have the latest toys regardless of how well they work.

If you're complaining about the double-whammy of beta software not working well with beta software, perhaps running Vista isn't for you?

How many people out there running Vista also have in their possession an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player (rhetorical question, of course), neither of which is ready for prime time. ;)

Vista RC1 also came out a day before they released this beta, so they had no time to test it. Few had the pre-RC1 (build 5536).

Last edited: Sep 11, 2006