1940 reports installed tools as inconsistent

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by IxolPhaane, Oct 13, 2006.

1. IxolPhaane

IxolPhaane Bit poster

After successfully installing Parallels Desktop (1940), Win XP and Parallels Tools (also 1940) on an iMac C2D w 1GB, Parallels continues to report:

"The version of Parallels Tools you are using is inconsistent with the currently installed version of Parallels".

This after an initial install then subsequent uninstall of 1922, followed by the installation of 1940.

Uninstalling Tools via XPs 'remove programs' and then reinstalling Tools has no effect.

I assume that if I check the "Do not show this message again" checkbox the message will cease, but maybe this is something that should be addressed?

Thanks.

2. sandau

sandau Member

reinstall it again. it took me two tries before the message shut up.

i do get intermittent mouse 'hangs' now though. also had to delete the network adapter in parallels and re-add it.

3. dracula

dracula Member

I have the same problem and the VM menu keeps showing Cancel Installation of Tools like it is still in process. I redid it again with no success. I have the MacPro
    What is the problem?

4. wstehl

wstehl Bit poster

I installed 1940, got the same message, opted to install the new tools, worked fine. I was upgrading from 1848 on a Mac Mini, no problems yet...

5. jammertal

jammertal Bit poster

I ve got the same problem with an intel i Mac. I stopped VM Tools with the exit button and the installation works fine. Maybe you have to deinstall the VM Tolls afterwards and install the tools.

6. jurg

jurg Bit poster

I have got the same problem with a macbook. I have a very clean installation of XP, installed in the previous beta version of parallels.

7. mikechadwick

mikechadwick Member

me too - on a macpro. Only since i installed build 1940 over build 1892 though:confused:

8. PubGuy

PubGuy Hunter

Yup, me too. MBP, 1G RAM, Build 1940 only. Everything seems to be working OK, I reinstalled the tools twice, then just click on the checkbox to not display the warning again. The last message I saw was just after switching into full screen mode, that's when I clicked on the checkbox.

9. SteveDemy

SteveDemy Member

Inconsistent tools version message

Same here, mac mini core duo 1G RAM. Looking at (but not removing) the Parallels Tools version using Windows' "Add or Remove Programs" / Parallels Tools / Support info, shows Tools version 2.2.1940 is installed. I've tried using the VM / Install Parallels tools to remove and re-install several times.

The "inconsistent tools" message often appears when switching to full screen mode.

10. Mersault

Mersault Bit poster

I have the same problem. I re-installed Parallels Tools at least once (maybe twice), and after that just told it to stop bugging me. I haven't had any problems yet.

11. IxolPhaane

IxolPhaane Bit poster

Okay, so I've done the Parallels Tools install twice, the message about inconsistent versions popped up a handful of times shortly theafter.

But I haven't seen the error for the past couple of days... I'm hoping that the Parallels software as figured it out.

I don't seem to have any problems with the tools, or with any other aspect of the program for that matter.

Overall, I'd call Parallels Desktop a nice piece of work. Thanks, folks! = )

12. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

Strange. Mine popped up once during the first boot of the VM after the 1940 install. I let it install the Parallels tools, it said it was doing an "update". It then wanted to reboot and no message since then.

13. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

As far as Parallels being a "nice piece of work" I still can't get over the looks I get when I have Windows running in a tiny little window while the rest of the machine is obviously Mac.

Sitting in Denver airport waiting for a flight I was doing this very thing and this guy sitting next to me on his Win Laptop said, "sorry to be nosey but is that a Mac?" I said yes. He said, "Are you doing screen shots of windows or something?" I said, no this is Windows and I turned my laptop to him and showed him MS outlook running in the small Windows window.

I said, the Mac along with a tool called Parallels allows me to run Mac OS and Windows side by side. I then blew his mind when I clicked on another app in the dock and virtue desktops did the desktop flip. He was like. "What in the hell was that!?" He could see the desktop and apps had changed. I said, oh ya... I have about 6 different desktops I can work on and I showed him the virtue pager that allowed me to select and he could see all the different little icons.

Our flight was delayed and we sat there for almost 1.5 hours and I was still working away when his laptop ran out of batteries. He said, damn I wish the airports would have plugs for people... how long does your battery last. I turned the MBP and showed him where my battery still had almost 2 hours left. His mouth dropped open and his girl friend nudged him and said, "I want one of those for Christmas!"

14. joem

joem Forum Maven

I'm amazed too. You say you get 3.5 hours with Parallels running a guest? My 15" MBP gets about 2.5 hours without Parallels, and about one and a bit with Parallels running. Do I have a bad battery? Are you doing something to save power that I'm not. I have 2G RAM, and a 120G disk (soon to be 160 BTW).

15. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

I dim the screen to the max so I can read it.

What my battery remaining says and what actually is there are two very different beasts. While it showed 2.5 hours left I doubt it would have made it that far.

I'm actually about to order a new battery with only 26 cycles reported on it from Profiler the other night while it still had 1 hour + indicated the MBP just totally shutdown cold. No sleep. No warning. Parallels was NOT running when this happened. I was taking notes at an HOA meeting in OmniOutliner with the screen dimmed.

It's never done that before. My battery is not one of the recalled ones but something is seriously wrong with it.

My best guess is with a good battery and Parallels running do what I normally do I would get about 2.5 hours. It was just fun to see the look on the Windows laptop guy and his girl friend when their unit ran out of juice and mine showed 2.5 left. They were shocked! I know it was probably false, because like I said it would never make it that far. Especially now with the SMC fan fix. I run my fans faster to keep it cooler so it will eat juice faster.

I wish I could find one of those exact fit flat battery backs that could be velcroed to the bottom of the MBP and plug in. I haven't seen one yet. But I'm less interested in 1 inch flat. I'd rather add 1/2 inch and gain 3+ hours of operating time.

16. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

Oh yeah... Where are you getting the 160 HD? I would like an upgrade at somepoint. 120gb is just too small!

Hee hee... God to think I got started on personal computers with an Apple II with the 5 " floppy... What did it store? 60K? And I thought they were HUGE!

17. dlatkins

dlatkins Junior Member

Same here. I get the message when I switch to full screen view. Parallels Tools (from Windows) says it is version 1940 10.10.2006, so I'm not sure what is going on.

18. PubGuy

PubGuy Hunter

Things that drain battery life are:
    - Wireless networking -- I created a "No Networking" location to power off the wireless when I'm using the laptop at locations without connectivity.
    - Bluetooth -- I've got the bluetooth icon in the menu bar but have it powered off by default. If I need to use a bluetooth device, I'll turn it on.
    - Disable keyboard backlighting
    - Use the display at the lowest brightness comfortable for you to work.
    - Set the power settings to maximize battery life
    Doing this, I get better than 3 hours on my MacBookPro with 1 G RAM.