2.2 Missing USB support

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by rsj, Oct 11, 2006.

1. rsj

rsj Bit poster

Using 2.2 new release as of 10/11. We can find no way to add USB devices under any VM. Host is SUSE Linux 10.1, guests are 98, xp, OS/2, ECS. Any ideas?

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

Same here.

3. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Did it worked on RC?

4. rsj

rsj Bit poster

No, and I posted that some time ago with no response.

5. flyfishin

flyfishin Bit poster

USB doesn't work with Parallels V2.2 with a FC5 host either. It also did not work on V2.1. I do understand that FC5 is not an officially supported host OS.

6. L0cutus

L0cutus Bit poster

here USB works ok , archlinux hostSO, try to run parallels as root ans see if you can add usb
    devices, if yes, there is a permission problem.

7. mgpws

mgpws Junior Member

I tried using SU to use root access and no luck on SUSE 10.1 with PWS 2.2. I also reported this during RC1 and sent a ticket to tech support. No one has responded at all. Lack of USB support is pretty serious.

8. julie

julie Bit poster

I don't have USB support either in the guest OS. I'm running SUSE Linux 10.1, kernel 2.6.16.21-0.25. I tried running Parallels as root & as a regular user. I can't add a USB device in Parallels. SUSE sees the device just fine.

I'm using a DiskGO Edge with 2 partitions. SUSE mounts the USB device at /media/USBDISKPRO and at /media/usbdisk. The permissions and ownerships are:

-rwxr-x r-x rrsuser root

rrsuser is a member of group root.

9. ccooper

ccooper Junior Member

Same here. no USB with suse 10.1. I would be more than happy to purchase the product if they get the USB issues taken care of (using the trial version 2..2 presently). Patiently waiting

10. pouet

pouet Bit poster

Parallels 2.2 - Host Fedora Core 6 - Guest WinXP - Notebook Dell D820

user root & automount off = USB OK
    ser root & automount on = USB OK
    normal user & automount off = NO USB
    normal user & automount on = NO USB

Morality: create a launcher for parallels, something like "sudo parallels"

The USB will be avaiable in the Guest but not in the Host. At least since the Guest is running.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  11. dcolley

dcolley Bit poster

Host: Windows XP
    Guest: Ubuntu 6.10

This probably will not work with Linux host, but it is worth a try. I have to disconnect whatever usb device I want to use before I boot the VM. With Ubuntu 6.10 with usb autodetect on, after I reconnect the usb device, the VM pulls up the usb device.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  12. hkoster1

hkoster1 Member

Running guest Debian Sid in Parallels VM under host Debian Etch. Here, too, USB keys will only mount when Parallels is run with root privileges (like "sudo parallels &" in a terminal), like 'pouet' has indicated. What's more, when Parallels is run as user (even when clicking on icon in Gnome menu) then udev is not seeing the USB device: kernel modules usb-storage, scsi-mod and sd-mod are not even loaded.

My €0.02 worth...

13. hkoster1

hkoster1 Member

Further to my above post, there is another (related?) issue: when I return from a Parallels session run with root privileges (and having mounted a USB-key in it), then a USB-key will no longer automount in the host OS (Debian Etch in my case), although it can be mounted by manually.

It seems that Parallels Work Station is messing with the USB handling of the host OS (sysfs? udev?). Over to the Parallels developers...

14. ksenks

ksenks Parallels Developers

Please try to follow the instraction and answer is it solve your problem:

1. Log in to your primary OS as root.
    2. Check if an usb-operating group exists in your Linux primary OS.
    3. If the group exists:
    * Include into this group users who have to have an access to USB devices.
    * Proceed to step 5.
    4. If the group does not exist:
    * Create a group and include into it users who have to have an access to USB devices.
    * In the /etc/fstab file edit the string that mounts the usbfs. Devgid parameter should contain the identifier of the group created in the previous step.

usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=<USB gid>,devmode=0664 0 0

This option will of course only work if you have the relevant support compiled into your kernel.
    5. Restart your Linux primary OS.

15. hkoster1

hkoster1 Member

Thanks ksenks for your response, but your instructions may not work in Debian Etch as USB devices are handled by udev. You've given me enough of a hint, so I'll try to adapt the udev rules to solve the problem. I'll report back when I stumble on something.

16. SteffenG

SteffenG Bit poster

I am running Parallels 2.2 on openSuse 10.2. I followed all of these instructions, and I still can't see an option to add a usb in the configuration editor.

So does this mean I can't use a usb printer at all?

Steffen

17. constant

constant Forum Maven

On openSuSE 10.1, I can see the printer in Parallels, but not in the xp guest.

Other usb devices, like mouse and flash drive, work good.

18. preaton

preaton Bit poster

I'm using a sort of a hybrid SUSE 10.1. It started out as SLED 10 and has been added to. My USB works perfectly with Parallels 2.2 using Win XP as guest. Flash sticks, Hard drives, scanners and printers all work fine.

The problem as I remember it is that SUSE has moved USB support into udev and no longer has /proc/bus/usb which is what Parallels expects. I think all I had to do was edit /etc/fstab. There is a line in there that mounts the USB file system.

Mine now reads

usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs 0 0

As I remember the default was noauto.

Hope this helps

19. afore

afore Member

I tried this exactly as stated and several other variations. No luck. Did not work at all.

Art

20. sidboswell

sidboswell Junior Member

recompile kernel

I had the same problem, did a lot of research and posted here.

I found that you need to make sure that the kernel is compiled to support usbfs (which I know SUSE 10.2 is NOT (I'm not sure about other distributions)).

You can check to see if usbfs is supported by your kernel by checking if there is a usb directory in /proc/bus.

If it is not present you can compile the kernel with CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS enabled (there are decent instructions to recompile on SUSE at http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_suse).

Once the kernel is installed and the machine rebooted you can check /proc/bus for a usb directory.

Good luck.