3106 broke my Mac

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by tbz, Jan 6, 2007.

1. tbz

tbz Bit poster

So I got myself a new Macbook like a week ago. The white one with 2.0 GHz and 1 GB RAM.

I've always wanted to try out Parallels - running XP in OS X side by side. That's super for a webdesigner like me. Today I finally did. However, my experience with it is not that great, I'm afraid.

I created a 10 GB partition with the Boot Camp Assistant, burned the Mac drivers and installed XP on a clean NTFS partition (I've been trying to get Paralells to work with FAT32 also, but that didn't work, so I chose NTFS this time, and since this is a clean install, I don't mind writing those steps down).

Everything went smooth, booted in to XP, installed the Mac drivers, rebooted and installed Parallels Tools. Booted back into OS X and launched Parallels Desktop Beta 3106 to create a virtual machine. Clicked to "Use Boot Camp" and then finally the moment I was waiting for.

Loading ... loading ... *holding thumbs* ... loading ... is it gonna work? ... what's taking so long? ... loading ... eh, what the heck, let's kill this app, something must be wrong.

Launching it again for another tr... Oops. It froze. What the? ... Hmm. Let's wait a couple of minutes to see if something starts moving. ... Nope, it's dead alright. Fuck. *Click* power off.

*Click* power on. Grey Apple logo. Hm, what's this? "You, need, to, restart ..." what? Heh, okay, sure. *Click click*. Grey Apple logo. I love that logo. Oops, that thing again.

Okay, let's try XP. *Click click*. Okay, now I need to choose which profile to start. Let's try standard XP and profile 1.

Hmm, funny. Only XP boots on my Mac. Let's try OS X one more time.

*Click click* What the?

Okay, let's try to boot with the install disc. *Click click, c*. Cd's spinning, seems to work ...

NOT.

What the hell happend?!

And now I can't even boot XP, because the keyboard is not working so I can choose profile.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  2. nmdaltp

nmdaltp Junior Member

3106 did not broke your Mac, You broke your Mac

You clearly did not follow the installation procedure. You should not install Parallels tools while while whthin Bootcamp natively. You should install Paralles tools while using paralles booting into bootcamp VM.

3. tbz

tbz Bit poster

http://forum.parallels.com/thread5997.html

:confused:

4. nmdaltp

nmdaltp Junior Member

My friend, you are wrong again. For 3036 you need to intall the tools in bootcamp. But for the version of parallels you are using 3106, you have to unintall the tools (for beta 1) in bootcamp natively first and then use paralles boot into bootcamp VM and then install the tools for 3106, the beta 3.

5. nmdaltp

nmdaltp Junior Member

Clearly you did not read the installation instruction for beta 2 (3094) and beta 3 (3106).

6. koolaidman

koolaidman Member

you are following the directions for 3036 but you are using 3106 - this will result in the problem you have encountered!

there are some very important differences.

7. CountZero

CountZero Member

And since there is no mention of installing Parallels Tools for 3106, I presume you don't have to at all...

8. tbz

tbz Bit poster

Ah, I see. I broke my Mac then. How do I fix it? :)

Is there some magic key command that lets you do a reinstall or do I need to bring it in for service?

9. CountZero

CountZero Member

Just boot up using your OS X DVD by holding down the 'C' key (I think) while rebooting. Then just run the installer and install OS X on top of your current version. Looks like somehow the Parallels' kernel extension is causing a problem on your machine.

10. tbz

tbz Bit poster

CountZero: That's what's so weird though. Won't let me boot with the OS X DVD either. Goes into kernel panic after awhile of spinning the disc.

11. CountZero

CountZero Member

12. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

Had he installed his WinXP through Parallels in a VM rather than bootcamp I think this would all be a non-issue.

13. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

TBZ... I would suggest reseating your RAM chips... I know that sounds strange but I had the same issue with my MBP after it ran for months. Suddenly it kernel paniced one night then would not boot at all. I re-seated the RAM and suddently it worked and has been ever since.

14. tbz

tbz Bit poster

I've heard about resetting VRAM, NVRAM and SMC, but not RAM. How do I do that?

Edit: Re-seating. Okay, got ya.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  15. SLy CaT

SLy CaT Bit poster

man.. i just got this problem also. nothing seems to boot up, not even windows via bootcamp (because of the default options goes to parallels config and macbook keyboard doesnt work)

i get the kernel panic screen when i attempt to start os x in both safe boot and regular. booting from the disc that the macbook came from leads me to a blank blue screen (after being able to read from the disc)

i'm gonna try and call apple support tomorrow or the day after to see what options i have to get this fixed (no apple store near my location). i'm gonna try out diskwarrior 4 aswell.

but anyone else have updates/solutions to this problem?

update:
    diskwarrior4 worked fine for me.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  16. wappie

wappie Bit poster

solution for panic at boot

I had the same problem. Every time when my MacBook is forced to reset (due to a crash or lack of power) while Parallels is running Winows from my BootCamp installation, I'm not able to boot my MacBook into OS X, neither from CD/DVD without getting a kernel-panic instantly.
    I'm able to boot into Windows though. I tried EVERYTHING before I found this relatively simple solution that works everytime:

Put your Mac into FireWire target-mode (hold apple-T while booting to achieve this) and connect your stuck Mac to another Mac running OS X. Launch Disk-utility, and select the stuck OS X partition. Just perform a repair (you might have to repeat the last few steps when the stuck partition appears grayed out) , let it finish and reboot your stuck mac. Et voila: everything should be back to normal....

I hope Parallels will fix this important issue, but maybe it's up to Apple. It might have something to do with the fact that Parallels unmounts the BootCamp partition in order to use it. Just mounting the disk using the target-mode solution is not enough though, the disk-repair is necessary.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007