3150 RC2 and non-standard Boot Camp with WXPSP2 on Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by PeterH, Feb 2, 2007.

1. PeterH

PeterH Junior Member

Yesterday, when trying to cause my Boot Camp installation of WXPSP2 work within Parallels for the first time ever (previously the Boot Camp option was greyed out), the process got nowhere. I could see that Parallels had the "intention" of installing Parallels Tools, but it never got there. I could see the XP blue screen of machine users (it would have been necessary to click on one and enter the password). In addition, a dialogue had popped up with this message:

Windows - System Error
    A duplicate name exists on the network

Unfortunately, neither my standard Mighty Mouse nor my Apple USB keyboard (both came with my Mac Pro) was responsive as far as Windows was concerned, so there was nothing I could do to go past this stage.

I've tried editing C:\Boot.ini from Boot Camp, but I haven't gone much further. The only thing I think I can confirm at this stage is that, before installing Parallels Tools, my Windows XP Professional, running under Parallels Desktop for Mac 3150 RC2, does not detect my keyboard and mouse. I've partially succeeded in having Windows (under that particular configuration) recognise a second USB mouse and even a second keyboard, and it began detecting new hardware, etc., but, after having a couple of keyboards and a couple of mice, OS X was left unresponsive and I had to force the shutdown of the computer.

I was wondering if anyone, particularly of the Parallels Team can suggest some route to take now. More specifically, is there a way to install Parallels Tools from Boot Camp itself, without Parallels? That way, hopefully, the keyboard and mouse might be detected the next time I try booting from within Parallels? Is that possible? Is there a foolproof way of having the Mac Pro keyboard and mouse detected by "Parallelled" Boot Camp WXP before installing Parallels Tools?

Thanks everyone.