5160 Upgrade has caused network problems in XP

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jesuitx, Sep 17, 2007.

1. jesuitx

jesuitx Junior Member

I have never had a problem with PD until 5160. After updating, my network adapter in XP is "limited or no connectivity" no matter what I try.

I'm using Shared Networking and I have a pretty simple network set up, just a wireless network with DHCP.

Anybody else having this problem?

2. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

please do the following:
    First of all make sure that the virtual machine network adapter is enabled, then run Parallels.
    Click the Network Adapter link in the main configuration window to open its settings.
    Make sure that the Enabled.
    Under the Emulation section select the Bridged Ethernet option and choose Default Adapter or any other Mac network connection interface that is connected to the network.
    Click OK to close Configuration Editor.

If Bridged Networking isn’t suitable for you, try to change the VM network settings to Shared Networking.

If your network isn't working properly still, write me back please, I have some more ideas.

Best regards,
    Stacey

3. jesuitx

jesuitx Junior Member

Hi Stacy,

I already have it set to Shared Networking. I've tried Bridge but that doesn't help. I've also reinstalled Parallels Tools and that also has not helped.

I'm pretty sure I have everything properly configured since I've never changed it since I installed 3.0.

4. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

as far as I understand network is working fine in your Mac OS, right?
    Please look into this article, step three. May be after that your network will work.
    If not, make me know please.

Best regards,
    Stacey

5. jesuitx

jesuitx Junior Member

Stacey,

That configuration has solved my problem! :)
    I still however don't understand why Shared Networking all of a sudden does not work? Maybe there is a problem in 5160 Parallels?

Anyway, spasibo

6. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

I'm glad that your problem was solved.
    I will talk with our developers about it, may be there is actually a problem.

Thank you for using Parallels.

Best regards,
    Stacey

7. adriangreystoke

adriangreystoke Bit poster

Hi, i have exactly the same issue and nothing is fixing it... it tehre an easy way og going back to the previous build? i already tried host-only networking and still nothing, though my network is fine in windows, Thanks,
    Adrian

8. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

adriangreystoke, did you try all methods I suggested to jesuitx?

Best regards,
    Stacey

9. twalkabout

twalkabout Bit poster

I am also using build 5160, but my internet worked until I installed Windows XP upgrades, and now it will not work unless I revert to a prior snapshot. Specifically the upgrade I need is the XP SSL-VPN Patch. I tried to install it from this page: http://www.sdhpremote.com/downloadinstall.asp

and also tried just doing the regular windows XP upgrades. Both killed my internet. I tried all three methods above without success. Not sure if it's the same problem other people are having.

10. adriangreystoke

adriangreystoke Bit poster

it worked with host-only...

yes, I got host only working once I had turned off en3 host networking as well). Thanks, but as i say i was surprised and disappointed to encounter this bug.
    Thanks,
    Adrian

11. rawhead

rawhead Bit poster

Yeah, same issue here. And it just happened all of a sudden.. not immediately after upgrading to 5160 or immediately after a Windows update, just happened today.
    None of my Windows XP VMs are connecting to the network (and I have several). Of course, my Mac is working fine.

12. mackworth

mackworth Junior Member

I am also having this issue. Just noticed it yesterday.

13. phipps73

phipps73 Bit poster

Just upgraded to 5160 now can't connect

Hi,

I have just upgraded Parallels to build 5160 and I can no not connect to the internet on the Guest OS (Win XP). I was online in WinXP perfectly before the upgrade. I have changed no settings on either the Mac or XP side. Why does parallels do this? I need to test some sites in IE and I can't because Parallels won't connect.

I have tried all of the above changes, Host-only, bridged, shared and none work. I am fed up of wasting time restarting windows each time I make a config change and hoping that it will work.

Parallels team please sort this issue out. I am not the only one having this recurring problem. I will think twice about upgrading next time. Perhaps VMWare will work better?

Any help much appreciated - please don't just paste the standard response about changing the network config. It worked before I upgraded when I was using Shared Networking - why should that need to change!

Thanks!

14. menesesal

menesesal Bit poster

In fact, mine was working fine until the upgrade. The way I fixed for those who want a Bridge mode networking is to assign your VM with a static IP. I do not like the other two, since I need to have my VM in the same subnet as my host computer.

15. judisohn

judisohn Junior Member

I had this problem in the previous build, then 5160 fixed it. Last night I had to restart my Mac for an unrelated reason and now I can't use shared networking again. Bridged networking works for me, but this is not good because with bridged networking I can't connect in the VM when I'm online at a wifi hotspot (like Starbucks, Borders, etc.)

16. jannej

jannej Bit poster

Exaktly the same problems after 5160 upgrade

After upgrading to 5160 I can't connect to Internet anymore. I have tried to uninstalled och re-installed Parallels. Tried all the different solutions described in this article:

http://kb.parallels.com/entry/38/394/0/

...with no success. My Internet-connection is OK and everything was just working fine until the upgrade. I cannot use the Bridged Mode since I will connect thru an VPN-client running on my Mac (this worked fine before the upgrade).

What more can I try? Have I missed something?

Best regards,

Jannej

17. agranovsky

agranovsky Member

WTF ... I was running fine ever since upgrading ... today I reboot Mac and Parallels -- network in Parallels isn't available anymore. NOTHING changed on my side.

18. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Dear all,

You might have the network problem because of incorrect software update or Mac OS system failure. In this case you should repair disk permissions and reinstall Parallels Desktop. Please, read this article.

Agranovsky, if you did nothing, still something must have changed to make your network unavailable. This could be a virus. Could you give more details on the issue?

Best regards,
    Xenos

19. bsweetser

bsweetser Bit poster

I also have this problem

I'm not sure if you are keeping tally, but I also experienced this problem after updating to 5160. As others experienced, it did not cause a problem right away. The problem happened after applying some Windows updates to the guest OS, also. If others think that nothing was changed on the system, they might want to look at the Windows Update settings on the guest OS to see if it is set to automatically apply updates. I've tried using bridged and nothing seems to work.

It almost looks as though the virtual DHCP isn't able to assign an address to the guest OS any more. I look forward to an update from Parallels that remedies this problem. If I can provide any information that would help, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Ben

20. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Bsweetser, have you tried re-installing the tools?

Haven't seen this issue before on MBPs, XServes, or iMacs... This sort of problem is suggestive of a setting error or mismatched tools.