5540 + 10.5 Leopard

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac Public Beta' started by dcrinzema, Oct 29, 2007.

1. dcrinzema

dcrinzema

Any feedback on this latest version posted today? I don't want to be the 1st!

2. wkharris

wkharris

YES - just downloaded and installed on a MacPro Quad - 6GB RAM - install went fine, when I try now to run a Windows XP Machine - I get the spinning ball of death as soon as I click the green arrow.

I'll I can do is force quit it!!!!

I am not going to be putting this on my production MacBook Pro at this point :-(

3. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

Please keep Beta discussions in the dedicated forums.
    Moving this thread...

4. STim

STim Super Moderator

Is there anyone else experiencing this issue?

dcrinzema,

When you see a spinning ball next time, please:
    1. Open Applications->Utilities->Activity Monitor
    2. Find "Parallels Desktop" process in the list and select it by clicking it once.
    3. Press "Inspect" button.
    4. Press "Sample" button.
    5. Post the output here.
    The output should help us understand the cause of this issue

5. lozano

lozano

spectre, 5540 is posted as the current PRODUCTION release.

6. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

Could you please provide a link for this info so we could correct it?
    5540 is a beta build, as stated in the press release and on the Beta download webpage.
    The current production build is listed here.

7. AlanH

AlanH Kilo Poster

Build 5540 just gave me the same problems that every new build seems to give:

1. I try running the uninstaller first. This is just for laughs, because the response is always the same, in Tiger and now in Leopard: "Parallels is not installed on this Mac."

2. I run the installer and launch Parallels. Select my XP VM and it beachballs.

3. Wait the regulation indeterminate time depending how patient I'm feeling then force quit Parallels.

4. Reboot the Mac.

5. Launch Parallels, select and start my XP VM and it runs fine.

6. Install new tools and reboot XP and we are in business.

5540 idles at about 14% CPU on my Mac Pro (4 cores, 2.66GHz, Leopard). It seems sprightly and stable once the above dance is over, but the production build was OK as well. I don't push it very hard, as I only use it for a couple of bits of Windows-only software.

8. jeffmc

jeffmc

My system got deactivated after the parallels tools install. I am booting on BootCamp volume. Did this release do something to cause that?

9. biglar

biglar Kilo Poster

My upgrade in Leopard went fine. So far I have noticed no bugs.

Intel IMac
    2gb memory

10. jcncheng

jcncheng

In my case, I got the following message:

sample cannot examine process 2360 for unknown reasons, even though it appears to exist.

Parallels build 5160 and 5540 gave the same error message
    Color ball spinning forever right after clicking green arrow; force quit is the only way

Macbookpro 2.4
    4Gb ram

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  11. wkharris

wkharris

Now - Working

Following the steps of an earlier post tonight - after rebooting my MacPro - I now can run the 5540 version of Parallels with everything working again including access to my windows drive from the Mac Desktop! - Not sure why a reboot is necessary but that did it!

12. AlanH

AlanH Kilo Poster

Yes, I got that same Sample output when I first installed Leopard + 5160, and I also tried 5162. I sent an email to Parallels support about it and went to bed. Next day I had to restart Leopard because I wanted to reboot into Tiger for some old data, and when I started Leopard up again PD ran OK. So I emailed Parallels to tell them to disregard my previous message.

However, the reboot really seems to be essential, which probably means that the installer is not doing a clean restart on all the processes and network adapters that it is replacing. I recommend that Parallels review the install script, or else force a restart after the installer has run.

13. eriqthegeek

eriqthegeek

I updated to 5540 and installed the Leopard upgrade. Now attempting to start a VM, I'm getting "Parallels Desktop failed to initialize virtual machine monitor subsystem. Please contact Parallels support".

:(

UPDATE: I had done an upgrade of my Parallels install to go to 5540. I just did an uninstall and then reinstalled 5540 and so far everything seems to be OK again.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  14. lozano

lozano

spectre, at the time I posted the comment I was seeing 5540 at http://www.parallels.com/en/download/desktop/. I had checked several times over a 30 minute period and it was consistent.

I just checked same link a minute ago and it was back to 5160.

Bob

15. macguy

macguy Bit Poster

I installed this latest beta after installing Leopard and Parallels Desktop crashes every time I try to select one of my three XP Virtual Machines from the opening window. It shows the three machines, but as I soon as I select one, it goes to the next screen where it lists the configuration, but it doesn't even finish painting that screen before it crashes. It doesn't work at all for me.

16. macguy

macguy Bit Poster

Ignore my last post. I rebooted Leopard after installing the new Parallels Beta and the problem described above went away. Parallels Desktop starts fine now and opens up my VM's as usual.

17. biglar

biglar Kilo Poster

macguy

reboot mac and parallels one or two times.
    it seems to work after that for most people.

18. jcncheng

jcncheng

Yes, I got that same Sample output when I first installed Leopard + 5160, and I also tried 5162. I sent an email to Parallels support about it and went to bed. Next day I had to restart Leopard because I wanted to reboot into Tiger for some old data, and when I started Leopard up again PD ran OK. So I emailed Parallels to tell them to disregard my previous message.

However, the reboot really seems to be essential, which probably means that the installer is not doing a clean restart on all the processes and network adapters that it is replacing. I recommend that Parallels review the install script, or else force a restart after the installer has run.

Yes you are right. When I boot it up this morning, it just works. I don't feel the slowness of VM as others complained. Very good.

19. tcapoccia

tcapoccia

For what it's worth...I have had problems with Parallels 3.0 with 5160 and still probs with the new beta, but most of the issues went away when I 'turned off time machine" --

Tony

20. Dondi

Dondi

I am still on 5160, but getting the spinning ball. Here's my output: "sample cannot examine process 272 for unknown reasons, even though it appears to exist."

Any idea how to fix this?