5570 upgrade issue

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac Public Beta' started by schnide, Nov 26, 2007.

1. schnide

schnide

success

Hello,

Backed up the directory with my VMs and then did the following:
    sudo bash
    rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/ConnectUSB.kext
    rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/helper.kext
    rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/hypervisor.kext
    rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Pvsnet.kext
    rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/vmmain.kext
    find / -name \*Parallels\* -print

and then deleted everything related to Parallels. Restarted the mac, installed 5160,
    upgraded to 5540 and the upgraded to 5570. Then updated tools and things are
    running okay now. Still uncertain why things had got so broken.

2. aak

aak

Guys, does anybody else having this issue?

3. STim

STim Super Moderator

If there's someone else having this issue, build 5580 should resolve it for you. We think we've identified all possible problem causes and fixed them.

Please let us know what you think.

Thank you in advance!

4. rjscored

rjscored

I'm having the problem again with 5580. Install is hanging at the exact same point.

5. rjscored

rjscored

I just tried this trick:

While the installer is running if you open terminal and run:

cd /Volumes/Parallels Desktop/Install Parallels Desktop.pkg/Contents/Resources

then

sudo ./preflight

And it worked with 5580 as well. Same issue, same fix.

I am not running Volumizer, so I'm not sure what the issue could be. I got 5580 to install, but there must be something causing this issue.

6. cosweeney

cosweeney

I can't get the cd command to run in terminal - it keeps saying "too many arguments"

7. rjscored

rjscored

Try:

cd /
    cd Volumes
    cd Parallels\ Desktop/
    cd Install\ Parallels\ Desktop.pkg/
    cd Contents
    cd Resources

then

sudo ./preflight

Terminal doesn't like spaces in file names unless you escape them with a "\"

8. cosweeney

cosweeney

one down, one to go

Many thanks for the help - my Parallels is now running. My new - and hopefully last - challenge is that my pre-Leopard Parallels VM disk image can't be opened.

I try to view it in Parallels Explorer and Explorer hangs. I tried opening it in Parallels and it says that "File seems to be not a valid Parallels virtual machine configuration file!"

Do I have any prayer of getting this back? I tried copying and renaming it as a disk image and it says "you don't have sufficient access privileges to rename." I have administrator rights and have made sure the hdd file has full write access. The pvs file gives the same error.

Quite the mess. Any advice?

Les Sweeney

9. brkirch

brkirch Kilo Poster

It sounds like the permissions on your VM are messed up. To fix them, open the Terminal (located in Applications > Utilities) and type
    Code:
    sudo chmod -R 0777 ~/Documents/Parallels/*;killall Finder
    After you hit return you will be asked for your user password, and then the Finder should relaunch.

10. cosweeney

cosweeney

not yet

I ran the terminal line, but I still get the "not a valid configuration file" message when I try to open the old hdd file.

Any other options for me?