5582 - Excessive CPU Util.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by LCPGUY, Dec 19, 2007.

1. LCPGUY

LCPGUY Member

I am getting excessive CPU usage from 5582. Just sitting here with nothing running under XP, I check with activity monitor and Parallels is fluctuating between 79 and 128% CPU. Needless to say, XP is close to useless.

Things start out okay, but after a few minutes in FireFox 2.0.0.11 playing Flash games, the CPU usage goes nuts and can only be alleviated via restarting Parallels.

I did a Parallels Uninstall and Install, to no avail.

The VM is assigned 640k. It does the same thing though at 1,024k.

Any suggestions?

John

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  2. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

No problem here.
    Cpu usage between 9 and 10%........

3. LCPGUY

LCPGUY Member

It always was for me too until 5582.

4. ohTina

ohTina Member

how do I check CPU?

5582 has been fine, on my MacBook Pro running Leonard, but it's kinda slow. I'm getting the spinning beach ball, or the hour glass on xp side, often. So, to check the CPU usage, is this something in System Preferences?

Thanks

5. LCPGUY

LCPGUY Member

No, what you need to do is run Activity Monitor in your Utilities folder which is in your Applications folder. When it is running, select the type of display you want under the Window menu.

I do not run Windows full-screen, so the activity graph always show. Just click on the graph and press command-1. You will then see the detailed monitor screen. Then just click anywhere in Windows/XP and the detailed screen will be hidden.

John

6. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello all,

Are there any USB devices connected to VM when you encounter this excessive CPU usage?

Best regards,
    Xenos

7. LCPGUY

LCPGUY Member

Yes, a keyboard and mouse, plus an Epson R200 printer, and, an Epson Perfection 1640SU scanner. Tell me, why would that matter???

Iot's just amazing how FireFox and FLASH games can cause such degradation.

I tried to respond here using XP, under Parallels, but I couldn't because of 129% CPU utilization. So, I am replying using Camino under Mac.

I had to re-boot just to get here. Parallels is just consuming this machine. It NEVER happened before, why now?

Thanx in advance for any answers.

John

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  8. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Dear John,

Could you please send me the screenshots of Windows Task Manager and Mac Activity Manager (Appications -> Utilities)? I would like to see the full list of processes sorted by %CPU to find the reason for the excessive CPU usage.

Best regards,
    Xenos

9. LCPGUY

LCPGUY Member

Thanx for your offer of help, but I finally figured it out. It was caused when I applied an update to eEye Blink security software. So I uninstalled Blink and installed the Kaspersky package that came with Parallel's. All is now lightening fast again.

Parallels ROCKS!!!

John

10. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Happy to know your VM is working fast again!
    Thank you for good news.

With best wishes for a Happy New Year,
    Xenos