*_auto_file problem - can't associate file with application

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ZeeG, Jun 18, 2007.

1. ZeeG

ZeeG Member

I found lots of document files in my Windows VM are not correctly associated with their program. For example, PDF file doen't have its own icon, and when I double click the file, I cannot launch Acrobat to view the file. Instead, it just opens "file association window" to select application to open the file. - Of course, my windows has Acrobat installed.
    I just realized, the file type of many documents has changed something like "*_auto_file"
    For example, if the file's extention is pdf, the the file type of this document is pdf_auto_file.
    I believe, it is caused by "Smart Select" anyhow since I didn't have any issue like this before I installed Parallels 3.
    I want to know how to restore my file type database as it was. (or how to fix this problem)
    Actually it is possible to select an associated application for a particular file extention, but in this case, I only could get ugly document icon (you will see what I mean if you do this by yourself).
    I really like the new features in Parallels 3, but I also think this "Smart Select" is a big mistake. It not only breaks user's perception of the file system, but also the file system itself.

2. marc1

marc1 Bit poster

similar problem being discussed in this thread already