*_auto_file problem - can't associate file with application

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by hydseek, Sep 9, 2007.

1. hydseek

hydseek Member

GUYS, I am reproducing the situation posted by someone else. I am facing the exact same problem. I installed Windows XP at least 12 times using three most recent versions of Parallels for Mac and the problem has not gone away. The files created in Windows Excel, PowerPoint, and others, are not being recognized by the program that created them in the first place, i.e, Excel, PowerPoint. Same problem with Acrobat Files copied over from the Mac: it reads: PDF_Auto_File or Excel_Auto_File. I have turned the 'SmarSelect' option off and have done everything else to get rid of this problem but it does not go away. My only option now is to trash Parallels and use another solution like, VMWare, unless, I receive a suggestion on rectifying this real stupid problem (Parallels Tech Support: How about waking up once in a while and taking note?). Appreciate any help here. I hate this '*_auto_file Problem' and I dont understand how Parallels could allow this to happen in the first place or not respond to an earlier post (enclosed) with a solution. Here is the original post that has a complete description of the problem:

"*_auto_file problem - can't associate file with application I found lots of document files in my Windows VM are not correctly associated with their program. For example, PDF file doen't have its own icon, and when I double click the file, I cannot launch Acrobat to view the file. Instead, it just opens "file association window" to select application to open the file. - Of course, my windows has Acrobat installed.
    I just realized, the file type of many documents has changed something like "*_auto_file"
    For example, if the file's extention is pdf, the the file type of this document is pdf_auto_file.
    I believe, it is caused by "Smart Select" anyhow since I didn't have any issue like this before I installed Parallels 3.
    I want to know how to restore my file type database as it was. (or how to fix this problem)
    Actually it is possible to select an associated application for a particular file extention, but in this case, I only could get ugly document icon (you will see what I mean if you do this by yourself).
    I really like the new features in Parallels 3, but I also think this "Smart Select" is a big mistake. It not only breaks user's perception of the file system, but also the file system itself."

2. hydseek

hydseek Member

*_auto_file problem - can't associate file with application GUYS, I am reproducing the situation posted by someone else. I am facing the exact same problem. I installed Windows XP at least 12 times using three most recent versions of Parallels for Mac and the problem has not gone away. The files created in Windows Excel, PowerPoint, and others, are not being recognized by the program that created them in the first place, i.e, Excel, PowerPoint. Same problem with Acrobat Files copied over from the Mac: it reads: PDF_Auto_File or Excel_Auto_File. I have turned the 'SmarSelect' option off and have done everything else to get rid of this problem but it does not go away. My only option now is to trash Parallels and use another solution like, VMWare, unless, I receive a suggestion on rectifying this real stupid problem (Parallels Tech Support: How about waking up once in a while and taking note?). Appreciate any help here. I hate this '*_auto_file Problem' and I dont understand how Parallels could allow this to happen in the first place or not respond to an earlier post (enclosed) with a solution. Here is the original post that has a complete description of the problem:

"*_auto_file problem - can't associate file with application I found lots of document files in my Windows VM are not correctly associated with their program. For example, PDF file doen't have its own icon, and when I double click the file, I cannot launch Acrobat to view the file. Instead, it just opens "file association window" to select application to open the file. - Of course, my windows has Acrobat installed.
    I just realized, the file type of many documents has changed something like "*_auto_file"
    For example, if the file's extention is pdf, the the file type of this document is pdf_auto_file.
    I believe, it is caused by "Smart Select" anyhow since I didn't have any issue like this before I installed Parallels 3.
    I want to know how to restore my file type database as it was. (or how to fix this problem)
    Actually it is possible to select an associated application for a particular file extention, but in this case, I only could get ugly document icon (you will see what I mean if you do this by yourself).
    I really like the new features in Parallels 3, but I also think this "Smart Select" is a big mistake. It not only breaks user's perception of the file system, but also the file system itself."

3. hydseek

hydseek Member

*_auto_file problem - can't associate file with application GUYS, I am reproducing the situation posted by someone else. I am facing the exact same problem. I installed Windows XP at least 12 times using three most recent versions of Parallels for Mac and the problem has not gone away. The files created in Windows Excel, PowerPoint, and others, are not being recognized by the program that created them in the first place, i.e, Excel, PowerPoint. Same problem with Acrobat Files copied over from the Mac: it reads: PDF_Auto_File or Excel_Auto_File. I have turned the 'SmarSelect' option off and have done everything else to get rid of this problem but it does not go away. My only option now is to trash Parallels and use another solution like, VMWare, unless, I receive a suggestion on rectifying this real stupid problem (Parallels Tech Support: How about waking up once in a while and taking note?). Appreciate any help here. I hate this '*_auto_file Problem' and I dont understand how Parallels could allow this to happen in the first place or not respond to an earlier post (enclosed) with a solution. Here is the original post that has a complete description of the problem:

4. johnv

johnv Parallels Team Parallels Team

Hello,

1. Please check Parallels build number. It should be 4560.
    Try this solution: http://kb.parallels.com/entry/49/523/
    2. You could try Parallels RC 2 Build 5158

Best regards,
    John

5. hydseek

hydseek Member

Does not Work

John, helpful though your suggestion maybe, I am afraid it is not working for me. I tried the solution with both builds, 4560 and 5168. I reinstalled Windows XP and as a trial, installed Acrobat Reader 8.0. Copied a file over from Mac and the wretched file is not recognized; to quote: "To open this file, Windows needs to know what progrram created it". This, in spite of the fact that Acrobat Reader is in Windows XP.

I am afraid, Parallels has really messed it up this time. It is uttery frustrating to make this work. For heaven's sake, fix the problem and give me a solution. Thanks for trying anyway.

Vish

6. johnv

johnv Parallels Team Parallels Team

Hello,

Please install the latest RC 2 5158 build, install Windows in a new VM from scratch and install the latest Parallels Tools (choose the "Install Parallels Tools" option under the "Parallels-Actions" menu),

Best regards,
    John

7. receipts1@beanlander.com

receipts1@beanlander.com Bit poster

_auto_file problem

I just created a new VM with a new copy of windows and am having the same problem.

WinXP SP3
    Parallels 3.0 5608
    Mac 10.5.3

Help much appreciated as this is seriously annoying.

8. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

We are investigating situation

9. Jaeyoung Haan

Jaeyoung Haan Bit poster

I have a same "*_audto_file" problem and this drives me crazy, making me regret using Parallels Desktop. :(

Mac OS 10.5.6.
    Windows XP Pro SP3 on Bootcamp partition.
    Parallels Desktop for Mac 4.0 latest version.

I dug this forum but I couldn't find a solution and some answers are I think out of date.

I don't want Mac and Windows to share their application at all
    as well as Parallels Tools to mess up Windows registry.

I HOPE Windows be Windows, Mac be Mac.

So tell me how I can fix file associations in Windows.
    Plz.

10. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

solution for particular files is simple just select file -right click open, select software, check always open such kind of files ...- click OK