Abnormally Terminated!

Discussion in 'Parallels Compressor' started by dentate, Apr 28, 2006.

1. dentate

dentate Member

Each time I try to compress or compact my vm disk (XP on OS X, 20 inch iMac, 2GB RAM with 512 assigned to VM) it fails, with an error message that reads:

Process of compacting of the virtual hard disk /Users/dentate/Library/Parallels/winxp.1/winxp.1.hdd was abnormally terminated due to the error. Please run Parallels Image Tool utility and use 'Defragment expanding hard disk image' function to complete compacting of the virtual hard disk.

Just before this error message XP gives me repeated warnings that my disk space is low and then very low. The disk is set to expanding; the VM property page shows a size assigned to 4096 with over 2290 unused, but inside the VM XP sees only 3.98GB with about 462MB unused and this "unused" number gets smaller and smaller. On my final attempt, at the last disk space warning, Parallels crashes.

What is going on?

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Image Tool is already included in Beta6 - please use it "defragment HDD" mode to finalize compressing.

PS: Your virtual disk seems to have some allocation errors (probably because of some crashes). VM Compressor can't finilize compressing for virtual disks with errors. So you need to use Image Tool which both will fix allocation errors and finalize compressing.

3. PubGuy

PubGuy Hunter

Compressor crashed the PW session about 90% done.

Beta6 for Mac. VM = 256 MB, WinXP SP2, Host = 1G MacBookPro OS X 10.4.6
    VM had a 4 G expanding image, with only 2.2 G used.

I first ran the compression from the built-in tools in beta6. This ran without error.
    I then delete a few more files I didn't need and decided to try the Compressor.
    Went thru stage 1 with no errors.
    Went thru 90% of stage 2, then crashed PW (not a kernel panic).

Just prior to the crash, Windows was reporting running low on hard disk space, with a yellow warning triangle, then a few mintues later report a low wanring message with a red warning icon, then the workstation crashed.

I restarted and had to point to the VM.
    When session started, it ran check disk.
    Found damage clusters totaling 1.7 G.
    Deleted these files and reran the builtin tools for compression.

Me thinks this still needs some work prior to release...:rolleyes:

4. bobics

bobics Bit poster

I see the same "abnormal termination" problem. Primary OS is Tiger with all updates running on a MacBook. Guest OS is a brand new XP Pro SP2 + up-to-date critical hotfixes and nothing else installed except Parallels Tools.

Definitely a bug.

5. cmartinez

cmartinez Bit poster

Defragmenting problems with Parallels Dektop and Image tool

I have a similar problem as the first user (dentate) above. When I try to compress my VM by running Parallel Compressor from within Parallels (build 3170), I get the message:
    "---/winxp.hdd was abnormally terminated due to the error. Please run Parallels Image Tool utility and use 'Defragment expanding hard disk image' function to complete compacting of the virtual hard disk."

If I run Image Tools, I get this error:
    "Image Tool encountered an error while reading data from the hard disk image file /Parallels Virtual Machines/---/winxp.hdd. Make sure that the file exists and it can be read from disk. Restart Image Tool to repeat the operation."

I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 (which otherwise runs fine) and have allocated 1500MB memory on a MacBook Pro Core Duo 2 with 3GB RAM. I am trying to compress the VM prior to cloning it (I tried cloning it overnight, but it completely froze my Mac!).

Thanks.

6. sarre9

sarre9 Bit poster

Is it normal for Compressor to run for over 24 hours on a MacBook Pro C2D? I wanted to see if I can reduce the foot print of my Windows XP virtual disk (35GB). It appears to be running but this is taking a long time. It is writing to disk .. slowly.. and it is using about 100% processor (200% ttl). I've even tried renice but that didn't change anything.

7. pendolino

pendolino Member

same thing here. its taking forever although when i cancelled it about half way through it seems to have reduced the size of the VM (from the mac finder's perspective) from 26GB to 20GB. i wonder what it would have done had i let it go on.