About USB and sound

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by David Corrales, Sep 1, 2006.

1. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

I'm testing Beta 2.2 in Ubuntu dapper and I find that usb won't work in my XP guest. I tried with autoconnect and without it. I click on the device I want (which does have its proper name) but windows doesn't see any new hardware. By the way, I also tried unmounting the usb before connecting.
    About sound, I can't seem to get any sound from virtual machines running inside Ubuntu. It's probably the old esd sound server blocking /dev/dsp. I'll have to check how can I run parallels outputing the audio to another sink. Maybe we'll get something like Gstreamer support hehe.

2. monkeyhelper

monkeyhelper Bit poster

Have you installed the new parallels-tools in your guest vm ?

3. dglock2

dglock2 Hunter

Same problems here with sound, no usb devices available.

This is using linux as host and win xp and win 2k as guest.

Have installed the windows version of parallels 2.2 on the same comp and the sound works fine but still no usb.

The shared forlders are great! To bad they are not available in a windows host with a linux guest.

Custom resolution works great with a windows guest but again its not available for a linux guest.

don

4. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

Yes Monkey, I have installed the parallel tools. Again, it's probably the esd server blocking the output device. About the USB... probably a bug, but just reporting.
    And yeah dglock2, I love the shared folders :D
    My only real complaint is maybe video performance. It's really laggy.

5. dds

dds Bit poster

I've just installed 2.2 Beta on Ubuntu running a guest of XP and I have the same issues. Glad to see I'm not the only one!

6. fstevens

fstevens Bit poster

Ditto here. Running Suse 9.1 with XP as guest. The sound config says /dev/dsp (that's ok), sound enabled, but "Mode" is "loopback" which ain't gonna work. Try as I might, I can't change it.

BUG!!! It IS beta, after all

Fred

7. doddles

doddles Bit poster

Yep - same with me, Suse 9.1 host, XP guest. No sound.

8. Roaster

Roaster Member

Seems to me that there is a general sound problem in 2.2 as I do not get any sound in WinXP host/Win98SE guest also.

The status bar icon however flashes when playing any sound in Win98SE..

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  9. Roaster

Roaster Member

Sound works perfectly with PWst for Windows version 2.1! Just downgraded and all runs as usual!

10. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Thanks for reporting! We located problem with sound in Linux build and already fixed it. Please wait for update.

11. Roaster

Roaster Member

Andrew,

has the Linux sound issue the same origin as the problems in Win98 (others, too?) and has it already been fixed?

12. Andrew @ Parallels

This problem was related to Linux primary OS only and already fixed. Your problem with Win98 was also with Linux primary OS?

13. ccooper

ccooper Junior Member

usb

Hello Andrew,

Good to hear about fix for sound. Any progress with the usb issue as noted in this thread for ver. 2.2?

14. Andrew @ Parallels

There where lots of USB fixes since 2.2 Beta - I hope your problem is also solved. Please wait for our public build (it will be very soon) and report into this thread or directly to my PM box.

15. ccooper

ccooper Junior Member

Hello Andrew

Just installed 2.2RC and the sound is working now. However, still no functional USB. Suse 10.1 host; Win XP guest. Any suggestions?

16. Ynot

Ynot Pro

ccooper, first of all, check your USB devices permissions. Next one - tell us which devices concrete not working. It should help to understand you.

17. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

My sound is still blocked (Ubuntu host) :( but it's kind of weird because when I first upgraded, I got sound. After rebooting, Parallels can't initialize it.

18. ccooper

ccooper Junior Member

USB issues

ls -l gives:

drwxr-xr-x 9 chip root 16384 Dec 31 1969 usbdisk

fstab:

usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0

The problem is mounting any USB device. Parallels does not "see" it. Always shows as empty.

19. constant

constant Forum Maven

David,

That's a bit weird, I'm not running Ubuntu, I'm running SuSE, but the sound continues to work.

20. David Corrales

David Corrales Hunter

Just today I booted my laptop and it worked... restarted and now it doesn't. It has a life of its own! lol. Hope it gets fixed though :)