Access Mac VPN?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Billy Shears, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Billy Shears

Billy Shears Junior Member

I'm using 3.0. How can I set up Parallels to allow it to access the VPN connection I established in the Mac OS?

I tried bridged and shared networking. The VM can access the internet fine but not the sites on the VPN.

According to "Network Utility" on my mac, the VPN is established via network interface (wc4) but when I set that bridged ethernet to use that adapter I still can't access the VPN.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  2. Ankou

Ankou Guest

Hello Billy Shears

We investigate this problem. It will be fixed in one of the next versions.

3. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

In my case it was a problem with DNS. I had to tell the VM use use a DNS server located on the VPN network and it works fine. I found I needed to access so few hosts on the VPN that I made permanent changes to the Windows host file, and now I don't need to worry about the DNS.

To test this you can try to ping a host on your VPN by IP rather than hostname. Any successful ping will demonstrate your network layer works and that you have a name resolution problem.

I use Cisco's VPN for Mac and it works fine but only with shared networking. This is what I expect because a good VPN client shouldn't be routing local network traffic to the VPN anyway.

4. Billy Shears

Billy Shears Junior Member

dkp - that worked! Thanks a lot