Activation Key for Windows Insider ISO

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop 16 for M1 Mac Technical Preview' started by wrod59, Dec 18, 2020.

1. wrod59

wrod59 Bit Poster

I was able to install this image but I can't activate windows due to a lack of a product key? Where can I get an activation key for this Windows ARM Preview ? thanks in advance.

2. Ricoculous

Ricoculous Bit Poster

Don't think there is one, it's a preview. You run it un-activated, which Windows allows you to do.

3. DaverR

DaverR Bit Poster

I used a Win 10 Pro key purchased online. It activated successfully.

stufried and KurtSchmucker like this.
  4. never_released

never_released Bit Poster

Windows on Arm uses the same licensing system as Windows on x86_64. You can use your Windows 10 product keys, they're valid across architectures.

FelixW5 likes this.
  5. SimonZ2

SimonZ2 Bit Poster

If you have a working x86 copy of Windows 10, activated, updated promptly and logged in with a Microsoft Account, by default your Microsoft account will store a digital licence on the cloud. When you logged in the Windows Arm, it should work as well no matter what architecture you have and whether it's stable version or insider. Sometimes you do need a manual activation as Windows detects the hardware change even when you log in your Microsoft account (such as in my case).

What you need to do is to go to troubleshoot section on the Activation page in Settings and then follow the onscreen instructions to do a manual migration to re-activate. In my case I had the Windows Arm inactivated before I did the process above.

Also be careful that if you Windows 10 is not a retail version but OEM one pre-installed on a Windows laptop/desktop, technically you can't use that license in other machine but you might give it a try.

CraigS8 and NathanC5 like this.
  6. stufried

stufried Bit Poster

The Insider edition seems to run for me without activation but then every now and then the activation nag screen pops up, but is gone when I reboot. Strange.

7. MarkByrn

MarkByrn Bit Poster

If you signed into your MS account on the VM and you have an activation on a previous VM or other machine you're not using, you can use the activation troubleshooting process to select and activate.

8. NathanC5

NathanC5 Bit Poster

Do you have a step-by-step path for this solution by chance? I'm running into this issue myself. It's a major headache.

9. stufried

stufried Bit Poster

My activation issue is a little odder. I come up activated but a couple of hours later I get a message that my Windows is unactivated. A reboot resets it.

NathanC5 likes this.
  10. NathanC5

NathanC5 Bit Poster

Same.

11. AlanG13

AlanG13 Bit Poster

I can chime in with the same sorts of Windows 10 Pro ARM64 activation issues. I was hoping that the action issues with Windows 10 was related to the time zone Parallels tools issue, but I still can't get the activation to kick on my Windows Insider license from an elevated CMD prompt and slmgr /ato. Checking the Microsoft account portal to invalidate my existing Windows 10 Pro x64 Insider license sounds reasonable. I may just kick the issue down the road as Windows ARM and Parallels for M1 are both pre-release versions for now.

12. LutzM1

LutzM1 Bit Poster

I only have the Windows Home version and it does not accept my activation number. I'm assuming one needs the Pro version? Any indication as to when the retail ARM version will be available?

13. CarlosR17

CarlosR17 Bit Poster

You can try with this generic key for testing Windows 10 Pro.
    VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
    I don't know if it works.

LutzM1 likes this.
  14. LutzM1

LutzM1 Bit Poster

Unfortunately not, but thank you.

CarlosR17 likes this.
  15. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

Yes, you need the Pro version. And there are currently no known plans for a Windows on ARM retail version. I really hope MS will change their minds, but currently they are only selling it to OEM manufacturers. If they ever update their apps (Store, Photos, etc.) to ARM64, that could be an indication that they are planning a retail release, because in its current state they would have a lot of unhappy customers.

16. BobW11

BobW11 Bit Poster

Just curious now that the store is open if anyone has used a Pro key to open this up? Considering buying a full license as I will use it for sure.

17. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

I bought a Pro key (but not from the MS Store) and the activation worked.
    [For anyone considering buying a key from other places than the MS Store, be careful that you don't buy a Volume key (there's a good chance that they won't work) or OEM key (they can't be used on other hardware). Basically avoid everything that is significantly cheaper than the price in the MS Store because it won't be a retail key.]

BobW11 likes this.
  18. BobW11

BobW11 Bit Poster

ok, considering a purchase of the Pro key. Are these keys transferable? As in I can use on this machine if (big IF) we get a bootcamp situation?

19. Alexander M.

Alexander M. Bit Poster

I have do the same, because i have a W10 license on my desktop and it activated successfully i see it in activation properties but the text on the logo screen in the right down corner did not changed and still shows that it is not activated

20. MichaelH63

MichaelH63 Kilo Poster

The retail keys are transferable, yes. That's their big advantage over cheaper OEM keys.