Activation problem

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by alnyden, Dec 22, 2006.

1. alnyden

alnyden Bit poster

I am using Parallels beta 2 with a bootcamp partition for the first time today. Everything is working great, except one problem. When I boot into Parallels, Windows wants to re-activate. When I try to do it, it says it can't because I have reached the max. number of times I can do it. However, I have never tried to reactivate Windows before. Shouldn't I be able to do this?

I read that Parallels had fixed the re-activation issue, but that you had to activate within Parallels once for it to work, and I am not able to do this. Anyone else having this problem? Any solutions out there?

I am using a purchased copy of Windows XP Pro (that came with my Macbook Pro).

Thanks,

Al

2. James Bond 007

James Bond 007 Hunter

You will have to call Microsoft (the phone number should be available on the reactivation screen) and explain to them what you have done, and ask them to provide you a new activation code.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  3. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

NEVER EVER tell Microsoft anything other then WHAT they ask for!;)

When you dial the number you are asked for the ID code on the screen.
    You read or type it in, and you will be immediately transfered to a real person.
    He/she will ask for the first set of numbers and one question. How many machines is this software installed on. The answer is ONE! :D

You will be put on hold for a few moments and given the code which you enter.

Total time less then 6 minutes.

ajm

4. Cranialstrain

Cranialstrain Bit poster

One quick question, does this mean that when booting back via BC I will need to re-activate again? I need the ability to switch between the two without all this re-activation nightmare. I too thought the guys had fixed this re-activation issue, hope it doesn't become a problem with Vista either.

Cheers,

CS.

5. puckman

puckman Bit poster

Yup, I agree, Microsoft does not see virtualization as a thing they support so you get in all sorts of trouble when you tell them you are using parrallels or vmware. I always tell em that I had spyware and had to re-install AGAIN. ^_=

6. alnyden

alnyden Bit poster

This is a bit intimidating! Is using Parallels breaking the usage agreement? When you say you get in "trouble" what exactly dos that mean? Can they turn off my activation even on the Bootcamp side?

Another question -- If I tell them I had spyware, then that wouldn't explain why Windows saw that my hardware changed, right?

Also, if I get another activation code, will Windows still work on my bootcamp side? I am using the same install of WIndows in both places, Bootcamp and Parallels.

Thanks for the advice...

7. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

This is the problem Parallels fixed in the latest release! I have switched back and forth over 12X since this release without the need to reactivate.

ajm

8. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

Completely legal! Adding info just confuses the issue.
    You should only need to reactivate ONCE!
    Again this is one of the fixes

ajm

9. alnyden

alnyden Bit poster

Thanks nycruza. It went exactly as you said. I gave them the numbers, told them it was for one computer, they gave me the new ID, and that was it.

Since then, I have been able to reboot between Parallels and Bootcamp with no activation issues!!

Thanks Parallels, this is fantastic to be able to use both solutions with one partition!

10. dotmb

dotmb Bit poster

Only bootcamp asked me re-activate

Hi,
    In my environment, only booting from Bootcamp(Not VM) asking me re-activation.
    But you are not having such a problem according to this page.
    I wonder if all of you activate on BootCamp first then activate on Parallels right?

**My Installation step
    1. Invoked MacOSX
    2. Installed Windows XP Home SP2 into Bootcamp(ver 1.1.2) (Without activation:Message is shown. Activate in 30days)
    3. Invoked Windows XP from Bootcamp
    4. Installed Bootcamp drivers
    5. Invoked Mac OS X
    6. Install Parallels build 3094
    7. Configure VM to invoke from Bootcamp
    8. Boot VM using bootcamp partition
    9. Activate Windows Home Edition
    10. Shutdown VM
    11. Boot Windows XP from Bootcamp
    12. Problem occurred!! Windows asked me to activate
    13. Invoked Mac OS X
    14. Boot VM using bootcamp