Added memory to my iMac, change memory settings?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by petteri, Feb 22, 2007.

1. petteri

petteri Bit poster

Hi,

I just went from 1GB to 2BG on my 24" iMac. What should I adjust my memory setting to under the configuration editor? I'm using Windows XP Professional. Thanks!

Peter

2. gstephensonuk

gstephensonuk Bit poster

16MB should give you a resolution up to 1600 x 1200. Only increase the memory if you require a resolution higher than that.

Increasing the video memory within Parallels does not increase performance, it just deducts the memory from the system memory to provide higher resolutions.

3. petteri

petteri Bit poster

Thanks. I was thinking of the "main memory" setting. Parallels was running sluggish before I installed the 2nd MB of memory. I tinkered with the main memory setting (I forgot what it was set at by default) and now have it at 256MB. Much faster now. I'm just wondering what the optimal setting is. Thanks again!

4. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

512 should be sufficient.
    Optimum depends on your particular setup but SHOULD range somewhere around 512 +/- 100M.

ajm

5. petteri

petteri Bit poster

Thanks! :)

6. VTMac

VTMac Pro

Actually that's not correct. It totally depends on your workflow. I have mine set at 256M and it absolutely flies. Going to 512M does nothing for me. The best bet is the experiment with a few values. Depending on your workflow and the apps you run, it will likely be between 256M and 1G. I would never go beyond 1G on a 2G machine.

7. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

Uhm! :(
    Seems like 512 +/- 100 is pretty much between 256 - 1G.

Are you using the new math :D

ajm

8. VTMac

VTMac Pro

That's quite the rounding there! :D

I don't think I'd use you as my accountant!!