Aladin USB HASP working in RC2

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by netdog, Jun 1, 2006.

1. netdog

netdog Hunter

Great job guys. Let's keep it working for the next one. :D

2. Jmdor

Jmdor Member

Can you unplug and replug in your hasp? Mine breaks if I try to reattach, and I have to uninstall and reinstall the driver (also an aladdin hasp). I'm trying to figure out if it's just me or if it's parallels.

Thanks!

3. mikeshappell

mikeshappell Member

I found that disable and re-enable works to make the HASP work again. It is better than uninstall and install as it does not create new instances and clutter the registry. However, I have not been able to get it to work just to plug it in. I always need to disable/re-enable to get it to work. I have a HASP HL 2.16 key.

4. rk202

rk202 Bit poster

The same problem

HASP must be disabled/re-enabled in Hardware Manager to make it working :(

5. Philmac

Philmac Bit poster

My HASP worked then doesn't

Dear Parallels Team,

I downloaded and installed RC2 when i read this thread.
    My Hasp was recognised first time.
    But now it is not.
    Even when I disable then enable USB in parallels and restart windows
    Can anyone help? I need this program to run?

Thanks
    Phil

6. Jmdor

Jmdor Member

Try disabling and re-enabling the device under device manager in windows (under control panel system). That worked for me as a workaround.

Jeanne

7. Philmac

Philmac Bit poster

Thanks for the tip Jeanne - that works for me! I am back in business.

I can also suspend the virtual machine with this program running, unplug the dongle from my laptop (to travel) then later resume the machine (I plugged the dongle in as the resume started) and the dongled program carries on without complaining. As this is the only windows program I require I can keep it running all the time (just suspend the PC - but remebering to plug the dongle in again.)

8. hans sep

hans sep Junior Member

My HASP dongles do NOT work in RC2. I have a couple of dongles which I need on a daily basis and all of them worked the first time. After re-plugging them I get the "device in use" message. So... what I don't understand is how to DISABLE a device which is not recognized in the first place!?

Hans

9. Philmac

Philmac Bit poster

Hans, your dongles were recognized because they worked first time? If so try what Jeanne did 2 posts up from yours. He disabled then enabled USB hasp under windows not under parallels. Here's an expanded version of Jeanne's that worked for me.

With your dongle plugged in. In windows xp you go start menu, my computer, control panel (on the left pane, also on my new XP install I selected "classic windows view" to the left as well) this shows ALL the control panel icons. Then pick system icon, hardware tab, device manager then expand "Universal serial bus controllers" in the tree view. On mine it shows "Alladin USB HASP key" with an exclamation mark. Right click on it, properties, then select disable from device useage at bottom. Then ok. close devise manager window, then reopen. My hasp now has a red cross through it. Select it again, right click prperties then click "enable device" button. Follow prompts then finish and close. Back in device manager I now have 2 hasps in the tree view! exit out back to windows desktop and try your program. I hope it works.

I also plug my hasp in when the virtual machine is running (ie not before) so the mac doesn't snatch it or something crazy.

You also mention you have several programs requiring a hasp? Just remember parallels only supports 2 attached usb devices per virtual machine. So if you have a usb mouse or other devices you cant use several hasps concurrently. Good luck - i hope it works for you.

As an aside, if this is all a bit tedious I don't really mind. IT WORKS! I have been trying for years to get my dongled program to run on a mac. Yesterday i finally made the complete switch :) Only a fellow mac user could understand why i am so happy.

If parallels don't sort this hasp thing out fully I will just use a macro to automate all this usb disable/enable stuff. Macro Magic under windows have a very powerful and easy to use macro generation program that if free (or inexpensive.)

10. hans sep

hans sep Junior Member

I understand the workaround but the fact is the Parallel Desktop doesn't even allow me to connect the HASP dongle(s). It comes up with a time-out warning and the dongle doesn't show up in the device overview!

Oh well, I can always revert to beta 6...

11. rafabaer

rafabaer Bit poster

so frustrated

hey,
    I am still so frustraded that one day parallels accepts my hasp dongle just without any problems - then the next day it doesn´t work at all (usb adapter is allready in use....).

like today - everything is prepared - I had to restart and suddenly I can do whatever - paralles is not accepting the dongle.

I also don´t understand how I could disable / enable a device that is not there. There is no HASP in device manager of course because it says the dongle is blocked by another application... man that drives me crazy - aren´t there any updates for that problem?

:mad:

rafa from germany