Ambiguous error shortly into migration

Discussion in 'Parallels Transporter' started by supz, Dec 21, 2006.

1. supz

supz Bit poster

Hello,

I'm running the latest beta 2 of parallels desktop and transporter, on both my old windows PC and new macbook. I'm attempting to migrate the old windows install into a virtual machine on my macbook.

Windows PC (source):
    XP SP2
    Parallels Transporter + Agent Beta 2 build 1056 (12/20/2006)
    74gb NTFS partition

Macbook (destination):
    OS X 10.4.8
    2.0 Ghz Core Duo
    2gb RAM
    60gb drive, 400gb external USB drive (has enough free room)

Migration mode: Advanced
    Method: From this computer
    Source volumes: Disk1 (Bus type: ATA; Device name: \Device\00000086)
    C: (NTFS, 40.46 Gb Used, 74.48Gb Total , Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600: SP2)
    Hardware Change: Boot from it

Everytime I run the migration, a small percentage of the way into it, it fails with this unhelpful error message:

"During disk(s) migrating an error has occured."

Is there anyway I can get more details to figure out what the problem is? Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?

Attached Files:

2. cce

cce Bit poster

same difficulties

I'm having the same problem, migrating a WinXP SP2 Home Edition PC (13.37G used space, says Transporter) to a Parallels VM (to go on a Mac). I'm using the latest builds (1056, 3094).

I tried first migrating by running the Transporter Agent on the PC, with the Mac connecting to it via Ethernet. This failed about 30% into the process with the error "During disk(s) migrating an error has occurred". I was sent back to the wizard page before it, so I hit "Migrate" and tried again, to no avail. Quitting and restarting both the PC agent and wizard and trying a few more times didn't work either.

Second, I tried instead to use the Windows Transporter program on the Windows PC, to convert to a locally-saved image (I had enough free space). This failed a few minutes later with the same error, while "Migrating data ..." with the progress bar at 1%. I also tried this a few more times, and also tried disabling various anti-virus / anti-spyware programs, but this didn't work either.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

3. bijou

bijou Bit poster

Just does not seem to work

I guess the software simply does not work. No one on the forum seems to have had any sucess with it. I had the same issues as you and others and it seems to be releated to the number of files that are being migrated. When I deleted all the data files and tried I got to 30% rather than the 17% that I was getting (sometimes it just aborted at 1% and 3%). I guess we will just have to wait for the next release. Its a shame since this is a great option that the vmware product does not have. There sould be a disclaimer on this software stating that its alpha since were all spending so much time trying to be it working.

4. dschneiter

dschneiter Junior Member

I'm also trying to convert my Windows XP Pro installation on my IBM Thinkpad T42p (about 50 GByte) into a Parallels vm. Often after starting the Transporter on my MacBook Pro the process aborts with the above mentioned error message. Sometimes during prepare, sometimes during migration (I never could get over 6 GByte). Even worse: Transporter often crashes (unexpectedly quits) on the Mac after retrying.

I'm now trying doing the conversation locally on the PC laptop

5. supz

supz Bit poster

Well, for the first time, Parallels Transporter worked for me. This difference this time? I had my laptop not connected to my wired network, and did everything over wireless. It took forever, but it worked in the end... the old Windows box has been pulled into a Parallels Image, and it seems to be working fine (though I havent played with it too much).

I guess for people having the problem, try transferring the image using your wireless adapter instead?

6. jrv

jrv Junior Member

Sometimes it works the first try, sometimes the second ... one machine took seven tries to transfer successfully. Exit transporter, restart it, and try again.

7. ddupmul

ddupmul Bit poster

Same error

Hi all,

I've made 3 attempts to copy my "real system" Win XP SP2 on a PC to Parallels Transporter Build 1060 Beta 3 on an iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1. All 3 attempts have failed, the progress bar makes it just over half way. Two of the attempts have taken over 2 hours before failing. The PC drive has around 36.1GB used.

I shudder to think how long a wireless transfer would take, if I even had wireless on my PC.

Transporter is beta software, but it will be nice when this is working.

Does anyone know if the PC needs to be quiescent?

David

8. msgreenf

msgreenf Bit poster

I normally get around 50% done before Transporter bombs out. I have no idea what else to try.

I have:
    - Checked drive for errors
    - Booted in same mode and tried the transfer there both over the network and to HD
    - Booted normally and disabled AV and tried to transfer over the network and to both external and internal HD.

No luck!

My windows XP drive only has 13GB used and has atleast that free.

I have also tried clearning my temp files in C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Temp

9. johnathonlee

johnathonlee Bit poster

Might help...

I was hitting the same issue when trying to image a drive to an external drive via usb. I defragged the ntfs partition on both the system I was imaging and the drive I was writing to. After that I was able to run Transporter succesfully.