Ancient RedHat installation :-)

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by pogo, Dec 3, 2009.

1. pogo

pogo Junior Member

I'm trying to set up X11 in an ancient version of Red Hat 5.2 (the "Apollo" release from 1998 based on the 2.0.36 kernel) that I've installed in a Parallels 5 VM. I can get the basic X desktop to display (640x480 Generic VGA), but I'd like to up the resolution and colour depth to at least 1024x768 and 16-bit colour - does anyone have any ideas of which graphics cards and monitors might be emulated by the Parallels VM? We're talking dinosaurs such as ATI Mach32/64, Cirrus Logic, Diamond Stealth, ELSA Winner, ET4000, Hercules, Matrox Mystique/Millenium etc here.

Yeah, I know, it's a bizarre question to ask, but I've got an ancient bit of bespoke code running on an old graphic library that craps out on the C/C++ libs that come with anything later than RH5.2, and I know that this stuff used to run on my old RH5.2 PC (RIP).

The basic XF86Setup screen looks ok in 640x480, and it seems to me that it should be possible to work out the right modelines etc for the emulated hardware, but I'd probably be senile by the time it worked. So, any ideas, gratefully received :)