Anti-virus software

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by wallywattz, Apr 2, 2007.

1. wallywattz

wallywattz Junior Member

Should I be running anti-virus software on both OS's or do I just need to run it on one? I downloaded Norton Anti-virus for both Mac and Windows (free from my school) and I can not connect to the internet now through windows, but can still connect through os-x. Is there a setting I need to change? I went to network connections and it says "Local Area Connection: Limited or no connectivity, Parallels Network Adapter".

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

Just my opinion, but I would say uninstall Norton and install AVG. Download from http://free.grisoft.com.

While you're there, get a copy of their free anti spyware as well.

3. drval

drval Pro

Just my opinion -- and the experience of all of my users on "standard" Windows systems -- but I wouldn't trade Norton SystemWorks for any other system, paid or free. It works, works well and Norton's staff is there for support if needed.

4. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

I have had really bad luck with Norton. I am currently a big AVG fan. Norton is bloatware.

5. drval

drval Pro

I do understand that some also believe as you do but what I have found, FWIW, is that when NSW (not any other of the versions!) is correctly installed and configured it just works. And that's invaluable for me and the users of my software that I have to support.

6. wallywattz

wallywattz Junior Member

My question was whether I should be running antivirus software on each OS or is running it on OS-X adequate?

7. constant

constant Forum Maven

Yes, running antivirus software is essential in any windwoes installation. As is anti spyware/adware/malware software.

Install AVG antivirus, and antispyware.

8. parallels support

parallels support Member

I strongly agree that a Windows VM is just as susceptible to viruses, malware, spyware, etc as if it were on a physical PC. But whichever protection software you decide to use, one thing to keep in mind....it may need to be disabled temporarily to successfully load other software. Specifically, when upgrading your version of Parallels and then installing Parallels Tools, I frequently have to disable the resident virus scan software before the tools will install successfully.

9. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

I would say that if you are going to pick one operating system to run anti-virus on it should be the Windows side.

Here are some basics of avoiding viruses:
    1. Use a router.
    2. Those e-mails that promise you things or request you to change you account info shouldn't be followed directly. If you think it is legit, go STRAIGHT to the companies web site. Any company with their head on straight will allow you to do the same thing via typing their web address in the address bar.
    3. Don't visit pr0n or similar sites or do downloads from sites you don't trust, or much MP3 sharing for that matter, these are sure ways of getting viruses.
    4. Don't use port forwarding to the outside world unless you need it.
    5. Turn off services like SSH, RDC, ARD, etc. unless you really need them.
    6. Run anti-virus and anti-spyware on your Windows machine.

I don't run anti-virus on my Mac, I do check it every month or so. Sure, it MIGHT mitigate the risk, but I figure if a virus goes in the wild, then I'll just disconnect the computer from the internet, take down my home wireless and then boot the disc from an updated anti-virus CD as soon as the fixes are available.

10. ramonekalsaw

ramonekalsaw Member

How do you 'check' your Mac for viruses? And, could you say more about using "an updated anti-virus CD" to boot from the disc? I'm asking because I downloaded my Windows anti-virus via the Internet so I don't have a disc.

Thanks.

11. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

To check my Mac? I just grab ClamXav when I need it and scan with that, booting as a target for a complete scan.
    If viruses started going out in the wild, I am sure that there would be an anti-virus program slapped together that would have the anti-virus software on a bootable CD.

12. nanwat

nanwat Member

Barrier x4 Dual Protection sharing connection ?

I have always used Symmantec Nortons Antivirus on the Mac & have thought it was fabulous-no issues at all-ever.
    However, I did some research and this Barrier X4 read well so I have installed that as it protects both systems simultaneously.
    It works perfectly on the Mac side but currently windows is not protected. This is because I have no idea what I'm supposed to tick to share
    should it be firewire
    Intego Server is checked by default
    or should I check local or network folder ?
    see
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrcomphotoswattos/