Anyone know how to get Office working in Windows (Arm 64)?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop 16 for M1 Mac Technical Preview' started by KaneF, Dec 18, 2020.

1. KaneF

KaneF Bit Poster

Hi all,

Trying to install Office without much luck. 64-bit version won't install. Tried 32-bit and it's stuck on 'Windows is preparing Office install' that orange box that never progresses. I've read on here that people have installed it succesfully - how please?

Also performance is very sluggish on 8GB M1 MBP. Are all the people saying it is very snappy running on 16GB M1 Pro? I have installed Toolbox.
    Thanks

2. ScottK17

ScottK17 Bit Poster

I didn't think that Microsoft offered Office for the ARM architecture - but I'm happy to have proved myself wrong. I have a Microsoft 365 subscription. I logged into my Microsoft 365 Family account, went to the Installs, and clicked Install Office. I was expecting it to fail, but it actually WORKED. I'm not aware of a way to download the ARM version of the office installer separately, though.
    I was able to successfully open Word and Excel documents from my OneDrive using the INSTALLED versions of both applications, and it worked fine!

The performance is quite acceptable for me, but I'm also running on a Mac mini with 16 GB. At one point I had the Windows VM and four different linux VMs all running at the same time, and the performance was still reasonable - especially for pre-release software. I'm watching Activity Monitor and the entire system is running less than 20% System and 10% user overall.

3. onefish2

onefish2 Bit Poster

Its just the 32 bit version of Office.

4. kundanno

kundanno Bit Poster

Core Office365 apps work well (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and OneNote). Teams does not work. Install fails with Java errors.

5. Maria@Parallels

Maria@Parallels Parallels Team

Hey, could you provide us with the detailed error message please? (or screenshot if possible)

6. Giovanni11

Giovanni11 Bit Poster

I have the same error. This is the screenshot.
    Schermata 2020-12-22 alle 10.00.43.png

Dean Lubaki likes this.
  7. kundanno

kundanno Bit Poster

Here is mine. Same exact error.

Attached Files:

8. SimonZ2

SimonZ2 Bit Poster

Mine is the same with this "Javascript error". It also happens on the installation of Microsoft Teams

9. Chaks

Chaks Bit Poster

What version of Office are you installing? If you navigate to office.com, sign in using your OneDrive Premium or Microsoft 365 account, and then click on "Install Office" on the top right, that should install the right build. I have it running without any issues in my Windows 10 ARM VM. If it still doesn't work for you, may be you could also install the latest beta build of Windows 10 ARM by signing up for Windows Insider build which should give you x64 emulation preview - that should be able to run Intel-based 32-bit/64-bit Office applications.

AlanG13 likes this.
  10. DonaldB4

DonaldB4 Bit Poster

I installed from my MS 365 account. MBP 16GB. Word and PowerPoint load and run quickly.

11. kundanno

kundanno Bit Poster

I think it's Teams that has issues. Office 365 is fine. BTW, on the Mac, Office 365 apps have all been optimized for M1. Teams is still Intel. Seems to me that the team at MSFT working on Teams has some catching up to do.

12. ScottN57

ScottN57 Bit Poster

Teams is apparently an Electron app. From what I've read they've been using older versions of the frameworks- hopefully they'll update to native versions soon.

13. NoBackUp

NoBackUp Bit Poster

install from o365 account sign up for insider preview .. change to beta ... boom native ... only Visio, project and teams are old world ... flies like a rocket I only need as some additional features in excel (Win) that I need ...super integration to my MacBook storage (Documents, downloads) and Dropbox (run all on the Mac side). just hope they do a bundle with M$ so that we can get fully activated Win10 installation

14. ScottN57

ScottN57 Bit Poster

It's turned off for my enterprise account- I've got a request to get Insiders access. The x86 versions don't run bad honestly.

15. kundanno

kundanno Bit Poster

I use an outlook.com account for my windows insider preview downloads. Incidentally it is also the same account I used in the past when p2v'ing windows instances in the past (on x86). I also have an office365 login (my company account) which I use to sign in to office 365 only.

16. poundbit

poundbit Bit Poster

Core Office365 apps work well (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and OneNote). Teams does not work. Install fails with Java errors.

17. poundbit

poundbit Bit Poster

It's turned off for my enterprise account- I've got a request to get Insiders access. The x86 versions don't run bad honestly.

18. YannisM

YannisM Bit Poster

I have the same problem, I install the 32 bit version successfully. Then it runs ok, but after I restart I get the Java error, or no error at all. It just doesn't do anything.

any suggestions?

19. kundanno

kundanno Bit Poster

Office 365 runs fine for me.

20. YannisM

YannisM Bit Poster

32 or 64 bit?