Apple (command) + Tab doesn't work w/ Universal Access' Assistive Devices Enabled

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by drodio, Feb 17, 2007.

1. drodio

drodio Bit poster

I'm experiencing the same problem some other users are with the Apple+tab when the focus is on Parallels - instead of switching thru mac applications, it only switches thru open apps in windows.

some users suggested disabling the "assistive devices" checkbox in the universal access pane. I tried that and it DID solve the propblem, but caused another problem in that certain Mac tools like TextExpander need it checked.

So... anyone have another solution that allows me to leave assistive devices checked?

2. Lohmeyer

Lohmeyer Junior Member

As far as I know, the only other solution is to press CTRL-ALT to defocus the keyboard/mouse from the VM back to Mac OS and then Command-Tab will switch Mac Apps. CTRL-ALT is the default key combo unless you have changed it in Parallels Preferences.

3. non-troppo

non-troppo Member

It is not only cmd+tab that breaks (still bust 3170 btw); interestingly my mouse trigger for expose (bottom right corner) also fails to work. I run Parallels full screen but love that I can expose to an apple app easily when my hand is on the mouse; except that it only works when assistive devices is disabled...

4. BillInSoBe

BillInSoBe Member

If you change the focus to Parallels Expose triggers should be re-enabled. I know this is a pain in the ass... hopefully Parallels fixes this.

5. non-troppo

non-troppo Member

Yes, ctrl+alt keys gets expose back, but it kind of defeats the purpose of a mouse trigger :)

None of this is fixed in 3186...

6. diamondsw

diamondsw Member

We've been bugging Parallels on their handling of the command key and triggers for a while - no real success in getting any attention or a response.

7. non-troppo

non-troppo Member

Yup, still broken in 3188...

8. jlanners

jlanners Bit poster

I am experiencing this problem and find it *cough* slightly annoying. Any thing from the parallels team?

9. timeslip

timeslip Bit poster

I just started using Parallels with version 3188, and it has been working fine until yesterday. Now I have the same problem where Parallels in full screen becomes the active screen and I can't apple-tab or use any of my hotkeys for VirtueWindows.

It looks like I fixed it by disabling assisted devices. I'm not sure how it got enabled, but that seemed to fix it for me.

10. David5000

David5000 Pro

Yes, but this is not a fix for those of us who need to have Assisted Devices enabled in order to use various applications.

I have e-mailed Parallels support about this and have received several replies, none of them recognizing or understanding the problem.

I think that one of the big difficulties with Parallels support is the lack of native (or at least highly fluent) English language skills. I respect and admire the fact that they can speak and write English as well as they can, but this requires a much more sophisticated and nuanced level of communication. Anyone trained in customer service understands this.

David

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  11. non-troppo

non-troppo Member

Still broken in 4128. Anyone from Parallels care to comment why it is ok to break support of assistive technologies for disabled Mac users to use core OS X app management features!?