Application crossover in 3.0

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by pwith, Jun 9, 2007.

1. pwith

pwith Member

OK - this is just silly. I click on a MS Word document on my Mac desktop and Word 2003 in Parallels fires up.

I have had many fights in the past with software companies that steal extensions without asking permission first. I just changed it back and now I am afraid that when I open a MS Word document in Parallels that MS Word 2004 will start up. I don't want that either.

While this capability my be desirable I don't like it. I have Parallels because I need it for some applications that are just not available on the Mac platform. I prefer the Mac platform and I will be happy when I can say 'goodbye', 'adieu', 'auf wiedersehen', 'farvel' to MS Windows.

So - Parallels developers - if you are indeed here and pay attention - please provide some form of capability that this capability can be controlled and disabled and that it is not the default behavior.

Thank you

Peter

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  2. wonder_mice

wonder_mice Hunter

We don't change association for file extension if you already have some program in Mac that can handle it. So, if Word (on Mac) was associated with "doc" SmartSelect will not change this association.

However we will provide more suitable solution in next update and you will be able to disable SmartSelect permanently.

3. pwith

pwith Member

Dear Wonder_Mice

I don't understand how you can say that "We don't change association for file extension if you already have some program in Mac". With Parallels closed I just found that all my MS Excel files on the Mac side were set to open with Excel 2003 - the 'get info' even showed the excel icon with a parallels icon. I know I did not make that change.

Please - it is nice to have this capability - and it should be my choice to make and none of Parallels business to 'hijack' the file association

Best regards

Peter