Are these Parallels forums hidden?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by UniAce, Apr 22, 2007.

1. UniAce

UniAce Bit poster

Are these Parallels forums hidden? I can't find a link to the forums ANYwhere on the rest of the Parallels website. Am I just missing something, or what?

I remember a few months ago when I first needed support with Parallels Desktop, I looked all over the Parallels website and it wasn't until a few days later that I finally discovered that the Parallels forums even EXIST! (I discovered them in the results of a google search.)

So what gives? These forums seem like a great place for fellow users to help each other at least, so why are they kept so behind-the-scenes?

2. mmischke

mmischke Hunter

As far as I know there has never been a link to the forums from the main Parallels site. I've seen a variety of opinions posted here as to why that might be the case. I completely agree with you that such a valuable resource shouldn't be hidden like this.

3. constant

constant Forum Maven

A link used to exist on the main site, but Parallels removed it.

The reasoning was that, the link is provided to users when they register. Then the forum is mostly only available to registered users.

Kind of whacky logic(not only my opinion), but it has not changed back, despite the amount of conjecture.

4. David5000

David5000 Pro

In my business I deal with a lot of companies with engineer-driven marketing. They often make bad marketing decisions based on bizarre reasoning.

David

5. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

It is strange, I see some of that where I work as we do some business consulting. Sometimes people get caught up in details...

Parallels, are you listening, maybe get the forums more publicity? I mean, your support quality is going up, so why not open up the forums?

I found the forums via Google myself...

6. David5000

David5000 Pro

I think it is a symptom of a deeper problem.

By the way, I also only found the forums via Google--and by a fluke found the "Official Blog" only the other day.

David

7. titetanium

titetanium Member

I myself didn't even know parallels had a forum until one of the support techs referred me here for a solution to my problem. After being brought here, I registered almost immediately.

8. UniAce

UniAce Bit poster

Yeah I can't think of any good reason why these forums should be so hidden.
    Even if a link to the forums is included in some initial product registration email (ignoring for the moment that such registration is optional and not all valid Parallels owners do it)...
    Expecting people to both notice the link in such an email AND remember that link if we eveer need to seek help at some possibly distant future date in an entirely different context... that's just lousy human factors. Why put such an onerous burden on so the human memory of so many users when it's so easy to simply make a findable link to the forums from elsewhere in the website (creating an "affordance")?

Is anyone from Parallels listening? Should we somehow officially bring this issue to their attention?
    ~jason

9. starkruzr

starkruzr Bit poster

This isn't the first time Parallels has failed to keep their website in order. There is also no link other than Google to the beta test page, and as far as I know, there never has been.

10. Roaster

Roaster Member

I've read/heard that the link was removed because of spamming the forums here.
    Anyway IMO the forum link should be placed again 'cause spammers could be fighted another way.

11. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Yeah, it's called 'moderation'.