Auto-Hide and Coherence Mode

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jdandrea, Feb 28, 2007.

1. jdandrea

jdandrea Junior Member

Greetings! I sure hope the Parallels team is being treated to a big party for this latest release (build 3186). Outstanding job - clearly a lot of work and thought went into it, and it shows.

Of course, there will be gotchas here and there, so us intrepid reporters chime in with circumstantial evidence and steps to reproduce! Here are two:

The scenario: Windows XP, Coherence Mode, taskbar at top with auto-hide enabled.

1. Motion toward the "thin blue line" (no pun intended) to make the taskbar visible.

2. Now move away from the taskbar back to the Mac desktop (very important). It should auto-hide. It doesn't.

3. HOWEVER ... click/select any Windows real-estate (title bar of an application, or anywhere within the Google Deskbar/Sidebar, etc.) and _then_ the taskbar auto-hides.

4. This is true for any item with auto-hide enabled (e.g., Google Deskbar/Sidebar).

Now maybe this is intentional behavior! If so, please advise - rationale welcome!

The next scenario:

1. Using the Google Deskbar/Sidebar, same configuration as above, Sidebar docked at right and visible.

2. Select an item within a Gadget such that a pop-up window extends to the left. It doesn't completely paint though. The border/frame is not completely rendered.

Unsure if this is a Google Deskbar/Sidebar painting issue or a Parallels issue, or somewhere in between. Suspecting a Parallels issue but it could be more subtle than that.

Please advise - thanks!

- Joe

2. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

that task bar problem I hvae seen on Windows machines many times in the later builds of WInXp

Hugh W

3. jdandrea

jdandrea Junior Member

Really now! OK, then that's a new one for me. The one problem I have seen with the taskbar concerns tooltips showing up behind it vs. in front, but never one where it fails to hide.

To be clear, in this case, the taskbar is indeed auto-hiding. It's just that it's only auto-hiding when I'm mousing over the Windows environment proper, not when I move directly to the Mac desktop or a Mac app.