Back Up Warning-Time Machine May Not Work for Full System Restore

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jesschoen, Apr 23, 2008.

1. jesschoen

jesschoen Member

Although somewhat tangential to Parallels, I recently had my Mac OS 10.5.2 system crash and it would no longer boot. In addition, when trying to launch Boot Camp, it gave me the Hal.dll corrupted file message so Boot Camp would not launch either. Parallels would not launch because of the Hal.dll problem.

I enlisted the help of four different Apple support persons (two first level and two second level) who tried a great variety of solutions over a 24 hour period including two complete restores from Time Machine. Time Machine restored the computer to the point where it would boot but I was unable to print anything. In addition, merely accessing the Print and Fax icon in System Preferences would give an application unresponsive message so that I had no way to correct the printing problem.

In addition to Time Machine, I had been using the Super Duper backup program to make weekly backups. The Super Duper backup is stored on an external drive along with Time Machine. Super Duper also makes the external drive bootable.

Although I have been using Super Duper to back up for some time, I have never used it to restore. Since all else seemed to have failed, I decided to try a full restore of the Mac HD using Super Duper. After about an hour of restoring, I found that all functionality was returned to the Mac OS and the printing problem was fixed. In addition, the Hal.dll problem disappeared and Boot Camp and Parallels were fully operational.

Obviously, I have now become a big fan of Super Duper. I had read previously that Time Machine can not necessarily be relied upon for full system restores. My experience seems to prove that.

I hope this message will help someone else avoid a disaster in the future.

James

2. macgebruiker

macgebruiker Hunter

Looks to me like the point (in time) where your SuperDuper backup was made then all was fine and functioned correctly. So if you would have taken the same moment in the TM backups then it also would have worked correctly.