Backup Parallels - Clean Install of Leopard

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Wally_Mac, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Wally_Mac

Wally_Mac Member

I'm planning on performing a clean install of Mac OS X - Leopard and wanted to know what steps I would need to take in order to completely save my Parallels application settings/registration and the Windows XP VM.

If everything goes as planned, I want to perform a fresh install of Mac Leopard and then, as applicable, reinstall Paralllels and my needed applications. I don't want to lose my registration code and basic system settings.

Thanks in advance for your pointers and recommendations....

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

First pointer: Leopard is not supported by Parallels yet, there are some known bugs that you have probably seen on the forum. Therefore, if you need the machine to always be running, don't bother installing it (I wouldn't install Leopard on a mission critical non-parallelized machine myself). There is a Beta out that will include Leopard support, I would wait until they release a new regular build.

Second Pointer: If you did a default installation, back-up your winxp folder to an external. As to preserving the license codes, etc. I don't think you want to save a .plist file in case it needs to be different for Leopard, rather just make sure you have the code written down. A re-authentication is a piece of cake.

Third comment: good for you deciding to go the route of a clean install.

3. Wally_Mac

Wally_Mac Member

Eru Ithildur,

Thanks very much for that information. I've already backed the windows hdd files and will proceed with the clean install of Paralllels either later today or tomorrow. It would appear that I'm on the right track.

Thanks again.

4. hanssolmsen

hanssolmsen Bit poster

I am about to do the same, a clean install. (It looks like the latest version of Parallels is Leopard compatible.)

Do I understand correctly then:
    I will copy back to my folder /users/me/Library/Parallels/winxp only the winxp.hdd file? Or should I also copy the winxp.xps file and othe folders?

5. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

Hanssolmsen, copying .hdd file will be enough to save all the information you need.

Best regards,
    Xenos