backups: How do you back up a parallels installation

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jaccolon3, Mar 16, 2007.

1. jaccolon3

jaccolon3 Junior Member

I want to back up before installing 3188. I updated to 3186 with absolutely no problems, but after reading all of the complaints here I am afraid to update unless i can back everything up. So how do you back up your parallels installation so that you can restore everything just as it is in the event of a problem. I do not want to have to re-install Windows and all of my apps. Is it possible to back up that way? Thank you.
    I am using OS X on a dual core 2 mac book pro and running Windows XP home on parallels.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Use the Windows Start menu to shut down the VM. Then quit Parallels. Find the Parallels folder in your home directory - it may be in Library/Parallels, or Documents/Parallels. Simply copy that directory to a new folder, or to a new name in the existing folder. It would be a good idea to use a backup tool to burn it to DVD if possible as it will last for decades there.

3. Eagle246

Eagle246 Junior Member

Things you should probably make a backup of:
    -->The Acutal parallels application and image tool/transporter (you ptobly dont really need the last two). Usually in /Applications/Parallels
    -->Your VMs and associated files (for me that would be winxp.hdd, winxp.pvs, Windows Applications), I'm pretty sure the .mem file is a dump crated when you suspend or pause guest os, so you i dont think you really need it. Usually in /Users/(youruser)/Library/Prallels/
    -->You might also want the parallels preference files. Usally in /Users/(youruser)/Library/Preferences/
    and usually named "com.parallels.Parallels.plist" you might also have com.parallels.imagetool.plist, com.parallels.transporter.plist and com.parallels.desktop.plist

Hope this is helpful :)

4. jaccolon3

jaccolon3 Junior Member

Very Helpful
    Thanks to both!
    If I need to restore, do i have to do anything besides just copy the files to the proper place?
    You can tell I still have some of my 30 years of dos and then windows registry left in me. :confused:
    But I am totally a mac man now :)

5. Eagle246

Eagle246 Junior Member

Yep, to restore just reverse the process.

EDIT: Mac all the way! :D