Best filesystem for multi-OSes host.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by cpl593h, Sep 10, 2006.

1. cpl593h

cpl593h Junior Member

Hello,

I'm considering buying a new high-end Mac, on which I would use parallels heavily (with at least one VM under Linux, which will replace an old real test server and another one using Windows 2000 SP4, which should do a good job at sandboxing some Windows app I need).

I plan to use the _same_ virtual machine file under Parallels Desktop (Mac) and Parallels WS (Gentoo Linux and maybe some kind of Windows, XP or Vista).

In the absence of direct hard disk support, I'll have to use a host filesystem for my VM HD files. The only problem is that VM HD files are typically 4GB+, which rules out FAT32 as a VM HD file host. FAT32 is AFAIK the only filesystem that's readable by OS X, Linux and Windows.

Another solution would be to use an HFS+ non-journaled partition, which is supported by Linux and may somewhat work on windows using Macdrive.

None of those solutions are perfect and I wonder if someone here can suggest me a better idea. _Maybe_ there should be an option for splitting (sparse) VM HD in 2 GB chunks?

Ideas?