Best OS to run Parallels under

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by wingdo, Apr 9, 2007.

1. wingdo

wingdo Pro

I've got a laptop I want to run *nix on and possibly Parallels. Which OS is more stable for Parallels? Unbuntu 6.10? OpenSuSe 10.2? Something else?

Thanks in advance.

2. rs37

rs37 Member

I run two vitual machines, eComStation1.2 and Windows 2000 Pro in Mandriva Linux 2007 as a host in a Toshiba Satellite A105 - S2716 notebook. Both of them are stable and the major problems that I have identified are restricted to USB support (poor compared to the mac version).

3. dglock2

dglock2 Hunter

Mepis 6.5 has usb support built into the kernel, its the only linux os that i have used that supports usb with parallels.

don

4. schotty

schotty Bit poster

Ubuntu, Linspire, and Fedora work fine. In all reality, Linux is Linux. As far as distros that irritate me to no end -- mostly just SuSE. YaST is one of those apps that drives me nuts.

5. rs37

rs37 Member

Mandriva 2007 supports USB Parallels ports in the same (and restricted) way as occour with other distros. Only USB 1.1. Only Mac users of Parallels has announced full USB 2.0 support.

6. sidboswell

sidboswell Junior Member

Agree ... linux is linux

I also agree that YaST is a PaIN in the YaSS, but for noobs it is quite handy (just don't get too complicated or you will realize why it is a pain).

I currently like Ubuntu and CentOS. I was running SUSE and had to recompile the kernel for usbfs support before Parallels would recognize my USB devices.

Fine one you like and run with it. You can always try different distros in the future. My suggestion before you choose a distro is to download a few of the Live CDs/DVDs and give them a whorl. That is why I switched from SUSE to Ubuntu recently.

happy hunting....

7. Ynot

Ynot Pro

Some insider information: here i prefer SuSE 9.1, guys near me prefer SuSE 10.1, some guys prefer Gentoo :)

this is not advert!! )))

8. wingdo

wingdo Pro

OpenSuSe or SLED? :) and thanks for the tip!

9. doddles

doddles Bit poster

I've run it under Suse 10.2 and Kubuntu 6.10. Kubuntu is much better - more stable and faster. I'm about to get rid of my Suse 10.2 installation - I hate it.

10. titetanium

titetanium Member

I'm not a big fan of SUSE, tried it before and it wasn't very pleasant. I am a huge fan of Debian though. Initially, it is somewhat difficult to set up, as you have to configure a lot by hand. Once set up, it runs great. However, for newbies in general, I give a nod towards Ubuntu, it's much easier to setup and use right off the bat compared to Debian even though it is based on Debian.